Edge converters, who here is running them, who has heard of them?

black86gn

Boost addict
Who all is running or has ran edge converters in turbo Buicks? I bought a 9.5inch 3200 stall lock-up last year and could not be any happier. They use a single lock up clutch that is made out of several different materials, mainly carbonite...which they claim will not slip and shows very little wear after years of use. The prices are really competitive for what you get. If you are in search for a new converter, I would recommend Edge for the street and strip.

I'm running one, 3k stall @ ~ 6#'s of boost . I little to loose for my setup (te44). But yes , you can feel it lock-up. I think my cost was ~ $575.00 I believe they will honor one free re-stall up to one year.

Against the T-brake I can bring it up to 20 #'s off boost.

Good to hear there are a few more out there that feel the same way I do! I wouldn't run a different converter if someone paid me, lol.

I've got one i pulled off a car a while back. It was a good piece. It spooled the ta49 turbo that was on the car extremely fast and wasn't sloppy when unlocked on cruise.

Had one for a while. Ran my best time 10.75, 10.63 off a 5lb & 10lb t-brake launch. 1.48 60ft on that last one.

It was a lock up, however I NEVER locked it up, Ever. After that track run I've gotten on the car several times since then however the lock up in it quit working. I swapped converters with a 9x11.

I just sat the Edge to the side. The other functions work just except the lock up. I don't know if I'm over powering it or what. I had that same unit sent off once & once Andre inspected it he said he's never seen one do that or had one like that one before? I think the adhesion or something didn't stick to the clutch plates or something to that effect; I don't know much about converters just something to the lines of what he told me on the phone when I talked to him.

So that was the regular Edge (which I had for about 3 yrs)with a different engine. So this last one I upgraded to the Pro Edge and ran the time in my sig but it didn't last as long as the first one (lock up part of the converter went out). I haven't inspected it the clutch part may be good in it.

So my opinion & that's all it is an opinion.
For a lock up---The Pro Edge, I like it the best for a 11.00 car & up. My 3000 was Great.

Once I started with about another 150-250+ hp I would think a non lock up or a different converter hence my 9x11 would be better. Haven't been to the track with it though.
Like I said just my OPINION. The regular Edge would be Terrific for mid to upper 11.s

I would love to give that (PRO EDGE) converter another try though If I could afford it since I ran my best time with it but I was fighting this for a little while once the lock up went, I just tried something different.

Can you lock a street edge or pro edge converter up on WOT on the drag strip like you could with a 9x11 and expect it to last?

Had one for a while. Ran my best time 10.75, 10.63 off a 5lb & 10lb t-brake launch. 1.48 60ft on that last one.

It was a lock up, however I NEVER locked it up, Ever. After that track run I've gotten on the car several times since then however the lock up in it quit working. I swapped converters with a 9x11.

I just sat the Edge to the side. The other functions work just except the lock up. I don't know if I'm over powering it or what. I had that same unit sent off once & once Andre inspected it he said he's never seen one do that or had one like that one before? I think the adhesion or something didn't stick to the clutch plates or something to that effect; I don't know much about converters just something to the lines of what he told me on the phone when I talked to him.

So that was the regular Edge (which I had for about 3 yrs)with a different engine. So this last one I upgraded to the Pro Edge and ran the time in my sig but it didn't last as long as the first one (lock up part of the converter went out). I haven't inspected it the clutch part may be good in it.

So my opinion & that's all it is an opinion.
For a lock up---The Pro Edge, I like it the best for a 11.00 car & up. My 3000 was Great.

Once I started with about another 150-250+ hp I would think a non lock up or a different converter hence my 9x11 would be better. Haven't been to the track with it though.
Like I said just my OPINION. The regular Edge would be Terrific for mid to upper 11.s

I would love to give that (PRO EDGE) converter another try though If I could afford it since I ran my best time with it but I was fighting this for a little while once the lock up went, I just tried something different.

So what are you doing with that edge converter that's a lock up but won't lock up?;)

Can you lock a street edge or pro edge converter up on WOT on the drag strip like you could with a 9x11 and expect it to last?

One tranny builder on here said some have locked it up & was doing pretty good with it. Me--- by it being strong but a smaller single disc in the 9.5 Great spooling converter, AT the time I did not know how to lock it up (pin A & F) Neither did I THINK you could lock it up, So I Never, ever, locked it; didn't think it was possible & I wasn't interested in that. So i still gotta pretty good time without locking it though.:smile:
So I repeat with the Edge nor the ProEdge I never locked either since I bought it. All I did was send the Edge in & upgraded the same unit to the ProEdge.

So what are you doing with that edge converter that's a lock up but won't lock up?;)

The day It came back from shipment on a THURSDAY my NEW TRANNY Pump came in on a FRIDAY (transmission was only like about 2 weeks old) I installed the transmission & New ProEdge on a FRIDAY took it to Reynolds on SATURDAY RAN 11.43-10.75-10.63. The same day loaded it back on the trailer brought it home drove it for like 2 months around back & to to work, visiting family & friends. Then Noticed the lock up feature meaning after 4th or Overdrive rather ( not MANUALLY locking it, remember I didn't know how to do that nor cared). It wasn't locking up after overdrive, troubleshooting it found out it was the converter itself. It was only AFTER I purchased the 9x11 I started researching & found out how to lock that converter because that was it's intended purpose. Haven't been to the track.

The ProEdge is out back (not the steakhouse) but in a box. Just sitting there waiting to see if I have the need to go back to it, I'll just send it back to Andre to repair & put that one back in. I have no use for it now but just sayin.

OK i didn't know if you were gonna sell the edge since it wouldn't lock up and were using the pro edge now so thats why i was asking.

I wouldn't lock any single disc other than the 9x11. It uses the large clutch so you have more surface area.

Any of the single disc converters in the 9.5 or 10" range use a smaller clutch and don't have the surface area to take alot of WOT locks. That's the purpose of the multi-disc.

According to Andre at Edge, yes because of the material the clutch is made out of. He also explained due to the material used, it does not need multi disc clutches to lock WOT. It worked great for me locking it at 45mph all last season. We will see with the new combo I am working on if the extra power will make a difference but I have faith that the Street Edge will do the job.

According to Andre at Edge, yes because of the material the clutch is made out of. He also explained due to the material used, it does not need multi disc clutches to lock WOT. It worked great for me locking it at 45mph all last season. We will see with the new combo I am working on if the extra power will make a difference but I have faith that the Street Edge will do the job.

I predict a good door stop in your future...JFWY..quit playing on the Intraweb and install that engine.