ECM smokin hot

hesermon

Driving the 85 GN, car running perfectly, come to a stop light engine stutters just slightly and SES light flashes. Runs fine to the next light, again engine stumbles and SES flashes a couple times very quickly. Leave light go about one mile car stalls. Push to side of the road, turns over fine but no start. Tried to check by jumping OBD port and the SES light is on solid and does not flash at all. I could smell a hot plastic smell but had no idea where it was coming from. I towed the car home and tried to jump the OBD port again and light does not flash. I pulled the ECM out and it is so hot I cannot hold it with my bare hands (at this point the car has not been running for almost an hour but the key was in the on position as we towed it about 3 miles). I have a power logger attached but did not try hooking my laptop to it yet. (got dark too dark) Wondering why the ECM is so hot. I know it's not supposed to be hot but don't know what would cause it to get that way. Likely a bad ECM or is there something that would cause it to get overheated? Hate to stick another ECM in to have it get fried too. Mods are in my signature line. Any suggestions???? Thanks!

Had this happen to a buddies car. Got so hot it burnt the label off a TT chip. Trashed the ECM, Powerlogger and Chip. A new ECM fixed it

Had this happen to a buddies car. Got so hot it burnt the label off a TT chip. Trashed the ECM, Powerlogger and Chip. A new ECM fixed it
That's pretty much what I was thinking happened. I hope it's just the ECM and not the TT chip and PL. I will try a new ECM with a spare chip I have, if it runs I'll try the TT chip and if it still runs I'll install the PL.
Thanks for the reply.

Eric reburnt the chip and Bob sent us a new PL. The old chip wouldn't even work in my spare ECM but it didn't smoke it.

Eric reburnt the chip and Bob sent us a new PL. The old chip wouldn't even work in my spare ECM but it didn't smoke it.
Think tomorrow I'll pull the chip and send it to Eric and have him check it out. Better to play it safe rather than just start poking things together to see if anything dies!

Send the pl to bob as well

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

why did you have the key in the "run" position when towing it? you can still turn the wheel with the key turned one click ahead of "off", but all the accessories won't be powered up..