ecm question

supercoupe5

how much power can be made with the stock computer. is there a rule of thumb on when to switch to a stand alone system. thanks dave

i want to say 9s since 10s on stock are getting common but it really depends on how much you really want to be able to extract from your combo , aftermarket will allow you to get the most but it will take time and knowledge to get there
the only issue with stock and 9's is you need to have the fueling analy correct at that level since most parts are getting pushed to the edge so less room for error and that means individual corrections to each cylinder which as of yet is only acheivable with aftermarket sequential ECUs

stock or aftermarket to get there you need to be able to tune which normally is make small changes see what occured and correct in that direction and continue untill peak performance is acheived , this takes time and on stock ecm with a chip just a few years ago it meant a reburn each step of the way but with current adjustable chips like turbo tweak , me-r and MAf pros and cheap wideband units now giving the stock ecm the ability to correct real time with wideband it makes getting the car that much closer so much easier

so i guess what i am getting from this is you can take a street car just about as fast as you want to with a stock computer. i want to take my car to the track also so i could do that also. i could change (tune) an aftermarket system much easier and faster by laptop or some sort and not have to send my chip out for a reburn. now in the aftermarket world i know there is haltech, accell dfi, fast, and i am sure there are others that i know nothing about. what is a good system to go with. i would not have to have the most expensive dont want the cheapest either. one that would be easy to tune and use on a daily driver and a car taken to the street about every other weekend. dave

See the info in my sig...I'm running with stock ECM and TRANS+...and have been for years...I could probably run faster as is but at that power level I just don't have the tunability I'd like...that's why I'll be installing FAST XFI very soon...