Ecm/maf

jgines

CaTcH mE iF yOu CaN
Whats up guys,

I need to know where to get the components to convert stock 84 ECM to 87 ECM. Also where do I get the MAF translator to upgrade MAF, and Ls1 MAF sensor. Thanks in adance.

GNAsuka,

Man I swear everytime I post your either the first person to reply or the only person to reply. I owe you alot, you have been alot of help. Its because of you and other specific board members that my first GN is up and running. Thanks to you and everyone here in the hot-air forum.You guys are the best.

You should be able to pick up an 87 ECM and MAf from teh parts for sale section. ECM and MAF usually around $50- $75 each. I got lucky and got an ECM out of another car for $40 from the salvage. The MAT sensor is the same in most GM cars so I went to a salvage yard and pulled the sensor, wiring, and even part of the air box around where the MAT screws in. These are so plentiful that they let me break apart an intake filter box to remove the "bung" where the sensor screws in. I epoxied the "bung" into the end of the K&N, ran the wires to the ECM, good to go. Was great. Much more driveable.

Here is the link to what I posted for someone else to convert:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=139015&highlight=87+ecm+swap

Still have pics if you need.

Squid

Lol.....no problem man...thats what we're all here for. These guys have all helped me with my problems, Im just giving back to the community :D

GNAsuka,

The link for full throttle doesnt work. Did they change there website.
Is there another site that has the stuff I need.

Hmmm....they didnt change the link as far as I know....It looks like the website may be down....Im not sure what's wrong. Full Throttle is the only place that I know of that carries the translators and MAFs.

Well.. Thanks for the help. I beleive There is an e-mail address for them on the gnttype site. Ill probably just try that. Thanks again for the help

Hey Guys, Google had two sites going to fullthrottlespeed, www.fullthrottlespeed.com and www.modernmusclecar.com/

The second site redirects you to fullthrottlespeed.com. Sorry guys, it looks like those sites are no more. I did find an e-bay store called Full-Throttle-Speed. Here is the link:
http://stores.ebay.com/Full-Throttle-Speed
It looks like there is a lot of cool stuff on that site. Didn't see any MAF's for sale there.

I bought my Translator from here:
http://secure.johnsperformance.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi

I found my LT1 MAF here:
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/
The part number is 25180303, it is for the 3" Impala SS. One last thing about this site, I only found it yesterday and ordered my MAF yesterday evening. Tonight when I checked on the status, it stated that the order was still being processed. I'll keep you posted.
Hope this helps

Jacksorroche,

On johns performance it says that the maf translater is for 86-89 3.8 turbo buicks.Will it fit on the 84 GN. Also there is a translater plus. Which one is better.

The translator will work with an 84 GN.....only if you have converted over to the 86/87 ECM though. The differences between the translator and translator + are basically that the translator + alows you to adjust spark timing and such. With the + you will also have to tap into the coil pack, so it's a little harder to install. I personally just went with the normal translator.

jgines
I kept an eye out in the "For Sale" section. Also, RED REGAL T sales them. Here is his e-mail address that he has listed:
RedRegal1@wmconnect.com
After you get the ECM, go to Caspers Electronics and get the MAT sensor setup, and the chip for the ECM. Hope this helps.

I would agree with what
jacksorroche said about the ECM and such, but you might want to check out www.turbotweak.com for a custom chip....it will make your car run alot better.

Thanks guys.
Thats another thing I was going to ask.
how do determine what kind of chip I need. Do I have to get a new chip everytime I do an upgrade. Please shed some light on this as I am a newbie and have never done this stuff beforeand need a better understanding about what I have to do.Thanks in advance