ebay fmic

Pittsburghkid

Displacement Replacement.
Ok I know everyone blasts ebay parts but for the price it was worth a try. I picked up a set of used 3" frount mount pipes from a board member and bought a fmic from ebay. The ic was $200 shipped. Just sharing how it turned out so far. I still have to make some mounting brackets and align it better in the opening. The specs on the intercooler are as follows.

Length 29"
Core Length 22"
Height 12"
Core Height 10"
Thickness 5"
Inlet 3"
Outlet 3"
Compress Air Flow Rate <900Cubic Feet/Min, Rated to 800-900 Max HP
Working Pressure: 5~50PSI
Pressure Drop 1~4psi@35psi; 0.2~0.5psi@15psi
Hot Air Temperature 32°F~302°F (0°C~150°C)
Material 100% Aluminum
Design Bar and Plate
Construction Machine Cut and Stamped, Hand Welded
Finish Polished

Here's some pics compared to the stock intercooler and how it fills the grill area. Ultimately I'd like to have a quailty larger RJC or Cotton's piece but this should work nicely til I have the extra grand to get one of those.

0325010352.jpg

0415011849.jpg

the only problem that may or may not occur is the welds blowing open. its just a gamble. they are a looking piece though!!! good luck

Ya that was a concern but one nice thing is there's no welds in the corners or on the inlet/outlet only where the endtanks connect to the core. Plus I probably won't be running anywhere near the amount of boost needed to blow it open until I get an alky kit.

From the ic bottom mounts at a 45* angle down to the front and under the core support. Then depending on how they hold possibly L shaped brackets from the top of the intercooler to the top front of the core support.

I like mine...

I have run up to 24lbs of boost with no issues. I even NDT'ed my a few weeks ago with zyglo and all looked good.

I'm unsure of how well it works, but given the larger surface area and higher volume capcity the numbers listed seem achievable.

I keep saying I want to run some tests to determine if the values given are accurate, but I never seem to find the time to do so. Maybe this summer...

SHHHHH... don't let on that people are selling oversized radiators for 1K :eek:

I'm using an Ebay Intercooler for a frame up build I'm doing for board member DWALL. It was only $221 shipped with the pipes. I'm very impressed with this intercooler for the price. The actual IC core is of good quality and seems heavy duty actually. The pipes have a nice finish to them. I did have to modify the one pipe going to the throttle body some but thats about it. For the price, I will probably use these again in the future.

Attachments

• P5050042.jpg
    P5050042.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 692
  • P5050043.jpg
    P5050043.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 694
  • P5050044.jpg
    P5050044.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 692
This pic isnt from the bestb angle but I just installed a 2.5in core ebay IC. Got it for $78 lol. Seems like as long as it hold the boost it will be a big improvement.

enginebaypic.jpg

any updates on this install before I'm banned again would be great!

its same one I got from a china guy whom I've known for over a decade

beautiful 5" core and end tanks! Now about those brackets.......you making them or having them made? Peace

XxDarkSidexX

Intercooler

I have that exact intercooler I bought off of ebay. It has seen 30# of boost a few times. Works awesome. I inspected all the welds before I mounted it. Very nice unit. Still going strong 4 years later.

I've seen these ebay intercoolers blow after 15 lbs of boost.... they're not very efficient in cooling but i'd imagine if you inspect it prior to install and not go too crazy on boost, then they should be fine.

any updates on this install before I'm banned again would be great!

its same one I got from a china guy whom I've known for over a decade

beautiful 5" core and end tanks! Now about those brackets.......you making them or having them made? Peace

XxDarkSidexX

I just used some mile steel I got from Lowe's. I measure bent and cut it and it slides inbetween the top of the core support and just two bolts, one on each side, drilled down and fastened right behind the header panel. only took about a half hour to mount.

0705011838.jpg

0705011838a.jpg

downsized_0705011838c.jpg

downsized_0705011838b.jpg

Looks good. Would it be possible to come straight out with the brackets instead of dropping them? That way it would line up in the grille opening a little better? Or would the pipe not reach any more? Looks good either way, and should def be better than stock.

Looks good. Would it be possible to come straight out with the brackets instead of dropping them? That way it would line up in the grille opening a little better? Or would the pipe not reach any more? Looks good either way, and should def be better than stock.

It's def possible to put it up all the way its just the piping I had didn't come up any further. I bought them used from a member on here and they were an old set of 3" precision FMIC pipes and they only came up to about an inch above the bottom of the core support. I already had the 3" couplers that were about 4" long so thats why I don't have it sitting up all the way. If you got some 8" long couplers shouldn't be a problem although it would be tight being that's it's 5" thick, but I also like the fact that the bottom of the IC is hidden behind the bumper so you can't tell how big the IC really is.

I just like the idea of having as much of the IC in the opening as possible for flow, but not sure it will make that much of a difference. I guess this way the IC and rad both get flow. You ever consider notching out a rectangle in the bumper where the tag would go, giving even more flow?

Looks good and will work good either way brother.

I just like the idea of having as much of the IC in the opening as possible for flow, but not sure it will make that much of a difference. I guess this way the IC and rad both get flow. You ever consider notching out a rectangle in the bumper where the tag would go, giving even more flow?

Looks good and will work good either way brother.

Not really because you actually can't really tell but the bottom of the IC ends right at the top of the bumper support so it's basically getting 95% airflow through the grill and about 1/3-1/4 of the rad at the bottom is getting airflow under the IC. Thas why I didn't move it up more cause it's basically getting full airflow and it looks like it is actually taller cause you can't see the bottom of it and it leaves the bottom half of the rad open to collect air. Tomorrow if I get a chance I'll take a pic from the bottom.

Gotcha. Clear now. I thought there was a substantial amount hidden below, but now the way you describe it, sounds like it is perfectly mounted. Cool deal, great inexpensive alternative.