EA's electric trans brake

brian b

How many people out there are using them in a 200 4R and how well are they working out for you?

Thanks for the feed back guys.

I currently have one that has given me a lot of trouble (keeps killing the pump? I think). I have been told....a few times....that an electric brake is to much for a 200 4r to handle and I should get rid of it. However if people ARE running them successfully than I think my issues are elsewhere in the trans. I think I'll give it one more try. Well....I guess my trans is heading back to EA....again :)

Hey Lonnie, are you around? I tried calling a few times.

This is a very busy time of year for Lonnie. Depending on the power you are putting down, the trans brake can be more devistating to the drive line, i.e. yoke, drive shaft, pumpkin, C-clip axles,etc. because of the shock upon release of the t-brake.

I'm making about 515 to the wheels and have a beefy drive shaft that I got from Otto, eaton posi unit, 30 spline axles with larger wheel lugs and a girdle rear end cover. I'm not going to launch over 10lbs max.

The weird thing is that the brake has never been pushed to hold any more than a lb or two and it still keeps failing on me. I'm sure there's a problem somewhere else in the trans that has been over looked up until now.

Hoping Lonnie can figure it out when I finally get it back to him.

Is this one of Lonnie's brakes or a different brand? (It would probably be easier to contact him by e-mail.)
Even at the 10#'s w/your rear-end set-up, there shouldn't be a problem. You have a good set-up.
What is the symptoms w/your trans?

Yes this is one of Lonnie's brakes. And he went through the trans (don't remember what he put in it). Since the trans was last installed it's made a noise that sounded like a power steering pump going bad in R, 1, 2 and 3 but not OD. The brake worked the few times I tested it out on low to no boost. Tested it out before I went to the track one day and it no longer worked. Oh yeah, and it never kicked down into lower gears.

Could someone PM me his e-mail or a better # than the one on EA's website?

If it was the Pump whining it would be in all gears. may be the TC/TorqueConverter since it doesn't whine in 4th/OD, may be after Lockup which takes the Sprag out of the combination.

I have a new PTC 9.5 non-lockup.

God....I hope it's not the TC. That thing was expensive:)

Yes this is one of Lonnie's brakes. And he went through the trans (don't remember what he put in it). Since the trans was last installed it's made a noise that sounded like a power steering pump going bad in R, 1, 2 and 3 but not OD. The brake worked the few times I tested it out on low to no boost. Tested it out before I went to the track one day and it no longer worked. Oh yeah, and it never kicked down into lower gears.

Could someone PM me his e-mail or a better # than the one on EA's website?

Taking a wild stab here, but I am assuming you have billet planets and a billet ring gear? That is most likely the source of you whining. Kind of like a steal gear drive. It is a nature of the beast. I would recheck the tv cable on downshifting situation. Or it could have some debris in the valvebody. Lonnies email is the way to get ahold of him.

info@extremeautomatics.com
Lonnie's a standup guy and will do his best to square you away.
Did you have enough clearance between the converter and the flexplate? At least a 1/4 -3/8ths? Crankshaft end play can cause problems.

Clearance between the Converter and the Flexplate should be 1/8" to 3/16" not 1/4" to 3/8". If you have that much you need spacers/washers.

I just spoke with Lonnie, he will go through it and get it working right. Great customer service from Extreme Automatics!!!

Thanks Lonnie!!!