E85 question

Use race fuel. Its more effective in boosting octane without the leaning a/f mixture you would get with E85

If you do a little looking around in the E-85 section you'll find that you can run up to a 30% mix. The closest to this to make it easy is 10 gallons of 93 and 4 gallons of E-85. This will give you a mix of 28% and with gas being E-10 already that's about as much as I'd add. Make sure you have alky on the car as well and you should get some decent power out of it.:)

If you do a little looking around in the E-85 section you'll find that you can run up to a 30% mix. The closest to this to make it easy is 10 gallons of 93 and 4 gallons of E-85. This will give you a mix of 28% and with gas being E-10 already that's about as much as I'd add. Make sure you have alky on the car as well and you should get some decent power out of it.:)

While that is fine and does work it is only for a car not running on the edge. There are to many variable to account for if you are.....E-85 isn't always 85, how much exactly is already in the tank..ect....

Why would you run alky on a car running e85? I thought e85 is supposed to be great cheap race fuel?

i've runs straight E85 in my car for several tankfuls in a row with no negative side effects other than it being a little cold blooded until the temp gauge starts to move up and usually lower fuel economy.. but i did get the best mpg i've ever seen (24) on a full tank of E85 on a long interstate trip with 2 other passengers, a trunk full of luggage, and the AC blowing cold.. that one magical tankful was an oddity, tho..

If you start adding in E85, the whole tune will start to lean out. This is why you see straight E85 cars add 30% more fuel. You will need to add fuel via the chip to wide open throttle if you add any amount that a difference can be felt. I suggested the race fuel because it wont drive your injector duty cycle up as high and is easier to tune in. If you have don't have an alky kit you may want to invest in one from Razor. Or you could just go straight E85.

I did read that at sometime so basically I was trying to confirm that. I don't have alky on the car but I wanted to do this because it is cheap and convenient. Race fuel cost a lot more and I thought if I can just put a mixture of E85 in with 93, it might be worth it. I don't think there would be any bad effects if I keep it fairly dilluted..

If you start adding in E85, the whole tune will start to lean out. This is why you see straight E85 cars add 30% more fuel. You will need to add fuel via the chip to wide open throttle if you add any amount that a difference can be felt. I suggested the race fuel because it wont drive your injector duty cycle up as high and is easier to tune in. If you have don't have an alky kit you may want to invest in one from Razor. Or you could just go straight E85.

See I do have my WOT fuel adjusted pretty high. I would think with a small concentration that I wouldn't have to worry about the tune being to lean..?? Tell me if I'm wrong.

I've run the last two summers with about a 2 to 1 ratio of 91 octane (no ethanol) and e-85. I usually put in a little over 11 gallons of 91 octane and about 5 gallons of e-85 on fill up. It eliminated a lot of the knock I would see with 93 (e-10). So far no problems. I just try to get the ethanol out of it before I put it away for the winter.

David
87GN