E85 injection

BIGAIR

Boost addict
Hey guys,

Our local methanol source does not sell it any longer and so I was curious if
E85 ethanol would be a good replacement?
It has an octane level of aprox. 105.
Would I be able to use it as a methanol injection replacement? Or is it too caustic for the system (smc single)?
I will go back to alcohol if I have to, but really liked the methanol.
Thanks to all,

Lee

E85 in sprayer

I've been using it in my smc sprayer for a year now with no ill effects.I know some people are afraid the 15% gas will kill the pump or seals or something but i've not seen any problem thus far.I don't think it's as corrosive as methanol but it will absorb moisture from the air.In your dry climate you wouldn't have to worry about moisture in the air.If i had a local sorce for meth i'd have tried that too but i got tired of paying 12 bucks a gal for ethanol so e85 will have to do. Good luck

I'd talk to SMC but from what I've read from those in the know, you're risking way to much IMO.

Go to Smurf piss ( -20 or -30 washer fluid ) or Isopropyl.

Thanks guys,

I guess more research is due, so I'll keep looking. I will also call SMC.
I appreciate the input and welcome more.

Thanks again,

Lee

Are you saying you cant go to any Home Depot/Lowes/Paint Store to get Methyl Hydrate for $5 a gallon to spray? Thats what we use up here?
Maybe I read the post wrong??

Not saying that at all.

I said, the local speed shop I used to get methanol from for 2.25 gal. no longer sells it. Can I use E85 ethanol instead?

I did not know that Home Depot/Lowes sold anything other than denatured alcohol that could be used as an injectant. I'll pay them a visit, as I am able to do so.

Lee

Instead of the E-85 try E-100/98, I do not know where you are located, but
maybe a oil dist. in your area can find or help you find it. The E-100 is de-natured to about E-98 or in that area so folks wont be apt to drink it. E-100 is about 129 octane on one of the R or M scale, can not remember which,
but I beleive the R+M= about 115-117 octane or near that. I'm fortunate where I'm at that I have a friend that can get it for me.

Ron

Thanks for all the input everyone.

I am sure I will be trying lots of different fluids.

This forum is great!!! :)

Lee