E85 Cocktail

mtbraun

Is anyone using E85 to raise their octane level mixed with pump gas? The highest octane pump gas I can get in SD is 91 and I need at least 93 for my new TT chip. I have a file created in Excel that uses the "goal seek" function to calculate what my blend needs to be based on a desired octane outcome. So if I am blending into 91 I just punch that in and the formula spits out my % ratio of 91 to E85. The same works for 87 octane pump gas. Its quick and easy, and best of all accurate. I know there are other alternatives like race gas and the like, but blending with E85 is much more practical in my situation.

Is anyone using E85 to raise their octane level mixed with pump gas? The highest octane pump gas I can get in SD is 91 and I need at least 93 for my new TT chip. I have a file created in Excel that uses the "goal seek" function to calculate what my blend needs to be based on a desired octane outcome. So if I am blending into 91 I just punch that in and the formula spits out my % ratio of 91 to E85. The same works for 87 octane pump gas. Its quick and easy, and best of all accurate. I know there are other alternatives like race gas and the like, but blending with E85 is much more practical in my situation.

Hard on your fuel pump though:( You might be dropping your tank soon.

Just convert over to E-85 and don't worry about it...

Well that's not going to happen despite being in the middle of the ethanol industry. I never thought about the corrosivity issues. Thought I might be ok with a 60-40 blend, maybe even 70-30. If it will cause issues then I'll just go with race gas I guess.

What size injectors do you have?
Mixing in race gas is safer than E85. E85 will need more volume. I have tried the mixing. A 50/50 mix had me add 20% fuel to my TT chip and 21 psi was my limit with 72's.

What size injectors do you have?
Mixing in race gas is safer than E85. E85 will need more volume. I have tried the mixing. A 50/50 mix had me add 20% fuel to my TT chip and 21 psi was my limit with 72's.

Stock injectors, for now.

10 gallons of gas to 4 gallons of E-85 will give you just under a 30% mix and should be safe, but check with Eric about your chip and get some bigger injectors.:)

I ran the following numbers and thought this was interesting:
Using 89 pump gas and E85 would require an 73/27 mix, respectively. Using 89 pump gas and race gas (assuming 115 octane) would require an 85/15 mix. Of course using 91 pump gas would decrease the mix ratio in both scenarios.

I'll check with Eric on the E85 thing but may just play it safe and mix with race gas.

Have Eric reprogram for the 91 and purchase a second one for the 115 at the track. It will avoid the pump, etc, problems due to the E-85.

You def shouldn't run any alcohol mix or in full unless you have a wideband and knowledge of what your afr needs to be and a way of adjusting it. I see the TT chip but are you monitoring with a wideband?

E85 isn't corrosive... Quit posting that dumb shit myth trash. I've run a tank of E85 a week for the past year through my car and it's happier than ever... Walbro is even still happy. I could only be happier if it got better mileage...

E85 isn't corrosive... Quit posting that dumb shit myth trash. I've run a tank of E85 a week for the past year through my car and it's happier than ever... Walbro is even still happy. I could only be happier if it got better mileage...

+1, I cant believe how much bad information there is out there. Myself and the rest of the Turbo Farm West crew have been running E85 in multiple different set ups since it was first available before there was an E85 section and even before Eric burned chips for us. We love it. Never any problems caused specificly from the E85.

The past set up I ran was with a hotwired single parts store replacement pump, 38# injectors with 93 gas chip, stock motor with a THDP and a PowerStroke front mount. I mixed 50/50 89oct/E85 and ran the car in the 20# of boost area for quite some time. Zero knock. Stock fuel lines, stock paper filter. ZERO PROBLEMS!

If you have it available, use it. I wouldnt run it on stock injectors at all! At least get a set of cheap injectors 38's or 42's and mix away. Dont expect to just crank the boost up because you will blow it up. Until you go with a decent E85 set up, even 60# injectors with an E85 chip, mixing is only to help and a you'll need to keep a good eye on the tune. The added mix is only to help, and I'll repeat, ONLY TO HELP!!!!!

Or you could just add a gallon of toluene and not have to deal with issues with Air/fuel ratio or the alcohol swelling up petroleum seals topics. Gnttype.org has more info under the tech/fuel section. Toluene can be boughten at ace hardware for about 15 a gallon and all the octane info and calculations are also on gnttpe.org. Don't make this harder than it needs to be

No that was becuase he heat soaked his fuel filter. He installed the filter directly above his passenger side header. He would have had issues no matter what fuel he ran. ---Jeremy