e-Dist & SpeedPro???'s

OddfireV6

Well I've read all the e-Dist posts I can find and I really think we are very very close to getting the e-Dist to work with my Oddfire SpeedPro box but we need to do one of the following things. Either 1) Send the SpeedPro box back to FAST and have them set the cam sync input set to read Hall Effect signals which we will get from a 96+ Vortec distributor, or 2) Find a convertor which can turn an Magnetic inductive pickup signal into a Hall Effect signal. I guess my only question is, is there such a convertor readily available? I've done some searching but I haven't found anything. I'd rather not send my ECU back to FAST if I don't have to. I guess worse case I have to send it back and continue to wait....TIA

Originally posted by OddfireV6
Find a convertor which can turn an Magnetic inductive pickup signal into a Hall Effect signal. I guess my only question is, is there such a convertor readily available? I've done some searching but I haven't found anything.

To convert a VR (mag pick-up) AC signal into a square-wave (Hall) signal, you can use the LM 1815 chip. It takes a VR input, and has a transistor output on pin 12 (IIRC) with the transistor turning 'on' when the reluctor is directly over the mag pick-up. http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM1815.pdf

If you don't want to build the circuit, I think you can also use a standard GM 7 or 8-pin HEI module to get the VR input, and then take the square wave output off the DRP ref pin. Not sure if that helps, but I think it answers the Q.

Thanks DocJ I didn't expect many responses on this one but you definitely helped out. Once we get it running I'll update everyone on what actually worked.

Thanks again DocJ, I read that post and for the most part I knew everything that was being discussed there...however you mentioned that you had a link that shows some of the work/schematics you've done can you give me that link? Or forward them to my email Raketich@sbcglobal.net? Thanks

Um, not sure what you mean. I've only done a couple of ignition projects of my own - building an internal crank trigger for my small-block out of Vortec parts; & a high-current HEI module based on a Signetics-Thompson design.

The trigger parts were shown here: http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/doctorj//pix/0parts_aa.jpg
and the Signetics design is from their L482 controller paper here: http://eu.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/1339.pdf.

Both projects work, but I have some ideas for improvements I haven't tried out yet - so no details have been published for either. My stuff interfaces with the stock GM computer, so I doubt it is of any direct use to your set up. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I know there's an odd fire V6 ECU in for a hall effect conversion at our manufacturing site, and it's due to go out today, I assume this is yours?

This should be a slick setup for you. Rotor phase has always been a problem on odd fire setups and this will completely cure that problem. Good luck with it!

Hey Craig you are right that is my CPU on the Oddfire and as far as I know we will have the first Oddfire V6 eDist set up...I never heard from Kevin C....so I'm hoping he shipped the box back next day if not hopefully he does today (Friday) I'm paying so don't worry about the cost I just need the box back so we can get rolling...literally....Thanks again.....RR