E-brake launching the TTA

Captain Mark

OK Razor, and you other guys that do this. I tried this again the other night at the track, with no success.

I have rear discs, does that make a difference?

As far as I know they still have the stock pads on them. Do I need to switch brake pads?

If so, which pads do I need to get?

The GN boys I know that e-brake, have rear drums.

I am cutting 60's in the 1.73 to 1.8 range depending on the track prep. Currently launching at about 5 psi. That is raising the boost as the tree comes down, not holding the boost at a constatnt level after staging.

Thanks as usual. :cool:

Not sure what your asking? :confused:

You should be able to stand on the brake pedal and hold the ebrake at the same time. I have sat at the line with 20psi on the gauge.

Forget about the Lights, get staged and start buidling boost. Don't worry about getting a reaction time, your time doesn't start until the car moves so build as much boost as you want and then go.

After awhile you will get the hang of it and will get better and coming off the lights with Monster Boost. :cool:

Sorry about the vague post.

Forget about the lights. This is just a launch question.

I can launch with the foot brake ALONE at around 5 psi. I can launch with the foot brake AND e-brake at about 5 psi. No real difference.

What is the problem? I had a GN guy tell me at the track that I cannot e-brake effectively with a rear disc brake.

Captain Mark,
How many miles on the original pads.Not only that they are 14yrs old.Get you some new pads.I bought raybestos ceramics and they worked perfect and they're low dusting meaning less scrubbing on your part.As for using the E- brake to help hold boost do as mike says roll in and stage mash your brakes hard before hitting the gas (this is when you will have the most vacuum).After you mash the brakes still no gas pull the E- Brake up as hard as you can hold it.When you have acheived this give it the gas and build the boost to desired level or till the car pushes and release both brakes.MAKE SURE the E- brake is lowered fully (messed up and left it bout' half up one time whew what a stink almost burned the pads up):D Good luck!

WES

I can hold 15 psi on street tires with the E-brake but I never launch it, Just for testing purposes.

You have to max out the E-brake all the way till your face looks like this:mad:

Build pressure in the brakes by pumping them and mash the gas!

release the E-brake at same time you release the brakes and Bango! Its no T-brake but it is the next best thing!

Good luck
Bo

Welll... I think the point is 5 PSI ebrake or no ebrake is the same thing. 15PSI is another world.

I was holding 15-20 PSI with my stock GM pads..and now run the raybestos and can hold 15 PSI as well.

Problem is if your looking for a .500 lite..you aint gonnas get 15 PSI on the line.

I do a little trick, I lite my first lite and get my car to zero vac..when my opponnent lites the second lite, I release the ebrake a little and bump the second lite at zero vac. As soon as the second lite lites up..I pull hard on the ebrake and mash the gas pedal..it typically spools to 8-10 PSI and I let er rip with a .500 lite...or wait a little longer till the boost really comes up and let er rip.

BTW you get the care package?

I never had any luck with the old rear end. I got 4 to 5 psi off foot brake and 5 to 7 with the foot brake and e-brake. I went to a 9" and big ford drums and I'm still only getting around 8. :confused: I swear I'm going to bust my damn seat bolts I'm pushing so hard on the break pedal. If you find some thing that fixes your problem please let me know. I dont know wtf I'm doing wrong.

Jason

Ok I got a question that goes along with this. For you guys who can hold the higher boost, lets say 15#'s or so. How big of a difference does this make in your 60' time compared to when you do a lower boost launch? In other words what kind of 60's have you got when launching at 5 psi and what do you get when you launch at 15?

TIA: Jason

Does anyone have a Raybestos part number? Or, which parts house carries these pads?

Razor, I got the package. I will be at the track Thursday night for some experimentation!:cool:

Jason, the bigger the turbo the bigger the difference in 60 foot. There is this Buick racer..I believe John Gallina.. would leave at 35 PSI run 8's.

On my stock turbo 15 PSI was worth .15 over a 7 PSI launch..but this also assummes your tires stick.

Mark, the raybestos I use I bought at autozone. The stores dont typically carry it..but its in their computer system at 75.00 bucks. I had tried their Albany brand pads..could only hold 2-3 PSI without creeping forward. My stock GM pads would hold whatever I threw at them.

Pads make a difference..what else can I say..

Julio

Originally posted by Captain Mark

What is the problem? I had a GN guy tell me at the track that I cannot e-brake effectively with a rear disc brake.

Thats because there is a lot of mis-information that keeps getting passed around from Buick guy to Buick guy about TTAs. Most of the Buick guys have no clue what they are talking about when it comes to the TTA.

They even think there Buicks will outlaunch our TTAs. They are way Wrong!

I don't know what rear pads I had on my car as it had 89K when I bought it, but I could sit out on the street with Nittos and hold 15psi with the e-brake.

There is nothing wrong with Disc Brakes, It's drum brakes that suck. Having to run bigger wheel Cyl and big shoes on both ends to try and hold boost.. Bah! All that does is create a lockup situation when you drive the car on the street, I'd hate to have to panic stop in the wet with that setup. Can you say UNSAFE?!? So who's brakes need work to hold boost again?????

Yet with the TTA I didn't have to modify and make anything unsafe and I am at the track running 1.5 60fts with a Bone Stock D5 Convertor and zero suspension work....

Yeah TTAs Can't hold boost and don't launch very well...

Tell me another one. :rolleyes:

You make some good points here.

OK, I am gonna quit listening to the GN guys..........well.....at least atke it witha grain of salt. I'm gonna figure this out yet. Test and tune Thursday. I'm gonna work on it some more.

Off Topic

Captain Mark....

I'm planning a move to Granbury, Tx. How far is it to the track from there? My TTA is fairly low mileage (23k) and I don't drive it far from home. I'm 60 miles from a track now and never go there because of the distance.

The closest track to Granbury would probably be at Kennedale. It is on the southeast side of Ft. Worth. About 40 miles from you.

Granbury is a neat little town. We'll have to get together when you get situated.

Sounds like a plan.

I've been planning a move back to Texas for years. Saw the Granbury area three years ago. Liked the idea of a gated community and a home on a golf course for $160,000.

I can move from Colorado and get a 25% pay raise because of the difference in the cost of living (I'm retired from the Air Force). Thats the main reason for moving to Texas. That, and BBQ, and Tex-Mex food :)

leeb

Originally posted by lburou
Sounds like a plan.

I've been planning a move back to Texas for years. Saw the Granbury area three years ago. Liked the idea of a gated community and a home on a golf course for $160,000.

That makes me Ill. I am looking for a house and can't find anything with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths with a 1 car garage for under 300K. :rolleyes: