Dyno'd GN for the first time, does this seem about right?

2QUIK6

Turbo Milk Jug displacmnt
After several pulls, my max hp was 305rwhp and max torque was 374.8ft-lbs this was with a 25 degree timing @ WOT and 18# boost, had only 1 degree KR. A/F was on the lean side the entire rpm range. Hit 300 hp at about 4600 rpms and held it above 300hp to 5500 rpms.

It that about the hp everyone would expect with the mods in my sig, important thing is its still the stock turbo, everything else is bolt-ons all internals are stock original with the exception of the valve springs and timing chain/gear.
CAS V-4 IC and THDP.

I was expecting more since its runs pretty consistant 7.8-7.9's in the 8th.

It was a roller style DynoJet. I had 101 octane in the tank. The A/F flucuated between 14 and 15.5 usually. I adjusted the Translator several times, one pull the A/F was down in the 11 to 12's on the high end, made a max of 300 hp on that one.
I took a total of 6 pulls with varios timing and fueling. The 25 degrees and the Translator set at 10% lean was the best, fp was 43# line off.

a/f at 14- 15.5:eek:

you are lucky you didn't blow it into the next county!

I just don't understand what good a dyno is unless one is tuning the setup

trust me, nobody cares about 4xx HP 4xx Torque.........except maybe some Honda

Well, its always started off with rich O2's and become leaner late in 3rd, course EGT climbs by then. But the A/F on this dyno initially said it was lean to start of and went lean later...just the opposite. I had 0 KR until the last run it had only 1 degree on the Direct Scan. I'm not certain the dyno was set up correctly, it would not accurately measure my RPMs as it would spike alot, we tried several different things but none worked to fix it. Not sure if there's any "setup" on th a/f readings since they said it was so lean yet I had no KR and my O2's were showing it to be fat.

It would down shift into 2nd for a second or two when it was punched. I lightly accelearated until it hit 3rd gear then slowly eased into it trying not to let it downshift back to 2nd but it always would.
It's a friend of mine's dyno and he's still got to get used to a few things on it, but it seemed to work fine on a 6-spd 96 Vette course we didn't have the downshift problem.

What I meant to say also as far as tuning, yes that was the goal but the A/F graphs were like an "S" laying down they were so eratic. Every run they flutuate up and down a great range, one just drops from 14 down to 11 right at 4k rpms...that shouldn't be that way either and my car is not that out of tune as I'd put down some pretty good 8th mile numbers in the past couple of weeks for a stock turbo and the O2s were perfectly in the 770-790 range once I got to 3800 rpms....that's why I'm think we just didn't know what we were doing with this new dyno setup. They did say that DIS ignition sometimes makes the rpm readings difficult to get accurately and I guess that would kind of hose the numbers.

False readings

Originally posted by 2QUIK6
Well, its always started off with rich O2's and become leaner late in 3rd, course EGT climbs by then. But the A/F on this dyno initially said it was lean to start of and went lean later...just the opposite. I had 0 KR until the last run it had only 1 degree on the Direct Scan. I'm not certain the dyno was set up correctly, it would not accurately measure my RPMs as it would spike alot, we tried several different things but none worked to fix it. Not sure if there's any "setup" on th a/f readings since they said it was so lean yet I had no KR and my O2's were showing it to be fat.

It would down shift into 2nd for a second or two when it was punched. I lightly accelearated until it hit 3rd gear then slowly eased into it trying not to let it downshift back to 2nd but it always would.
It's a friend of mine's dyno and he's still got to get used to a few things on it, but it seemed to work fine on a 6-spd 96 Vette course we didn't have the downshift problem.

The standard ign pickup on the DYNOJET tends to be flaky w/ the DIS/waste spark igns on the Tr's.
Given it has flaky rpm readings will make the torque readings false....
The pulls should be above 60mph to disallow downshifting to 2nd.

BTDT many times... :eek:

Re: False readings

Originally posted by Chuck Leeper
The standard ign pickup on the DYNOJET tends to be flaky w/ the DIS/waste spark igns on the Tr's.
Given it has flaky rpm readings will make the torque readings false....
The pulls should be above 60mph to disallow downshifting to 2nd.

BTDT many times... :eek:
I'm sure I wasn't up to 60mph when I stepped on it. Yeah, the torque reading on the very first pull measured it at 727ft-lbs :eek: with hp only around 280. Oh, well, live and learn, I try some of the things next time to keep it in 3rd and hopefully get some usuable numbers to make some adjustments by.