Dyno tuned a 4.1 stock block today

Otto J

I tuned a 4.1 stock block with stock crank,rods,fgd pistons and girdle,Reed 224 roller cam,champion unported GN1s,champion intake,stock headers,Turbonetics 72BB,3" downpipe,precision front mount.
Made 588 RWHP at 28#s of boost on a 11.3 A/F

This is in a full weight stock car,So we will need a rent day to make passes as there is no bar in the car.

Cool,everybody says the 4.1 is too weak I think thats BS.

I had one with ported irons make 500rwhp at 20# with only a 218/218 flat tappet,t63,stock rockers,ported stock intake,70mm TB and plenum,PTE FMIC,with a T+ extender , and street chip and 83# injectors.No girdle or caps either.

Trans valvebody took a dump the first time I turned it up to 25#,went 127 in the 1/4 on just 20# though.

I think the 4.1 isn't given enough credit.

Thanks for the great tuning Otto!!!
I can't wait to get it on the track and see what it can do. :biggrin:

Yeah those 4.1 are not given enough credit.... Any block will come apart if its not tuned right.

nice set up !makes me even more want to build one for my WE4.
Do you think that an eagle crank and girdle would have been a better choice??
thanks
Brian :biggrin:

GBGN1 said:
nice set up !makes me even more want to build one for my WE4.
Do you think that an eagle crank and girdle would have been a better choice??
thanks
Brian :biggrin:

Over the winter I will probably do the Eagle crank and a good set of rods. I already have the girdle. Then it will be time to see just how fast a production 4.1L can go. I'm not worried, if it breaks, it breaks. -Mat-

You plan on useing any HARD BLOCK in the block-maybe lifter valley or??
Good luck
Keep us posted
Brian

Nice Numbers

Kind of a tech question but since the post is showing intrest to the 4.1's I have a question.

The cat/eagle cranks out weigh the stocker by a few pounds, so question is.... if you'd used a forged crank with out a girdle or billet mains would the added weight stress the block more than a stock crank

If this is a hijack, sorry ;)

with out a girdle or billet mains would the added weight stress the block more than a stock crank

My 4.1l has gone 10.98 on pump gas. I see no reason to stay away. If you are planning to run a 4.1 then try to get an 84 block. Just drill and tap the front of the block to 1/2 npt and you can run a stock style drain. ;)