Dvd ?????

y26

I'm looking at getting this DVD from EBAY User in Europe... I'm concerned that it will not play on american DVD.. Is there a code on the DVD that i can ask them about... thanks..

There are a few things you want to be careful of in buying a DVD player from Europe.

I'm not sure what country you're buying it from, but I live in Germany and have a DVD player.

First, you have to be careful of the format that they use. American televisions use NTSC and European use PAL. This is a compatability between the TV and the DVD player. As far as I know, this is the frame rate at which it plays. Also, my DVD player has an 'odd' connection that it uses that is a 'interconnection' cable between devices called SCART. You may need some sort of SCART adapter to go to American television. To give an example, my VCR is connected to my DVD player by a SCART cable, then another SCART cable connects my DVD player to my television. As far as I've ever seen, American TVs don't have this, but I think they sell adapters for RCA output. So check your connections that come with this DVD to make sure it'll hook up and that it'll play NTSC.

Next, of course, you need to worry about what power the DVD player takes. Does it run off 220 volts? Houses in Europe are only wired for 220 volt and have a different shaped plug.

Last, to answer your question, if you search on the internet for DVD player hacks you will find websites with lists of DVD players and hacks that can be done to make the DVD player play all regions. DVDs are coded by region. USA is region 1, Europe 2, Asia I think is a different region as well. I have done this with my player so I can play DVDs I get from the states as well as DVDs I rent from the store. Just do a Google for DVD player hacks. Of course, I take no responsibility to any damage or problems you have doing this.

Good luck. Hope that helps.

Its only the format of the dvd,makes no difference on the TV set,American, European or from Mars.

American dvd=only play on American dvd players
European dvd= only play on European dvd players

That is unless you do the hacks to make it play all regeions.Again,IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR TV!!!

HTH

Cool thanks for the info... I was just curious about this DVD i wanted to buy from Europe and i was just concerned if it would play on my DVD player.. Thanks for the info...

I just realized that I completely misread your question. I thought you were wanting to buy a DVD PLAYER... not a DVD itself. My fault. Bunch of useful info for nothing.