Duttweiller oil pump for newbies

1000MileStylez

Black Sheep
Trying to understand how the oil lines are routed. I know there are several threads about this pump but the one bit of info i cant find is where does the line run to after the oil filter.

TA performance recommended -16 line from the pan to the "In" of the pump. -16 seems pretty large. Now in the picture i uploaded is showing i believe to be RJC deep sump pan which is what i have. My question for this is i get that the pick up tube looks like its located in the same area as the stock one. Does the screen face the bottom or the back? I am assuming its facing down like the stock pick up tube. I just want to clarify this. Reason why i ask is that under acceleration the oil will slosh to the back which is why fuel cells have the fittings facing back and the pump below the fittings so its gravity fed. Also what is the dimension off the bottom of the pan for the pick up?

Ok so now from the "Out" on the pump. Going to the oil filter. After the oil filter where does it go to next? I know i need to feed the turbo. So does it go pump to oil filter housing(-12 line) in the Inlet side then on the outlet side of the filter it feeds directly to the turbo and dumps off into the pan(Turbo is 1/8npt oil inlet)? Or you run the pump to the oil filter inlet, oil filter outlet to the pan and use the 1/8npt port for the turbo that some oil filter relocation blocks have?

Lastly, The unmarked port on the pump is the bypass. I see different pictures of bypass lines running to the fuel pump block off plate and some running to the upper drivers side of the pan. Any advantages to either route?

I also have a smaller filter before the turbo. Will this restrict flow? Anyone run an additional filter before the turbo itself?

Attachments

• Oil Pan.jpg
    Oil Pan.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
I agree, the -16 is way too big for the pan oil suction line to the external pump, we have always used a -12 line with and in-line mesh filter before the pump.

The pump outlet should be a -10 to the remote filter. The remote filter housing is a good place for your turbo oil feed line as it is AFTER the filter so no need for another one. :)

The by-pass line returning to the pan can be a -8, a line to the block-off plate seems too complicated to me as I prefer simple and easy routing to the pan. I found a 180 deg. -8 fitting to get back to the pan does this job perfectly!

If you are worried about the pick up starving for oil on hard launches, weld in another baffle on the back of the pan just above the screen.

If you need more info, just e-mail me as my 3 lines are off the car and could send you a pic of them.

That was another question of mine. I see a lot of setups with out a filter to the pump. Which I didn't quite understand why you would want to send oil to the pump with out filtering anything out first and prevent premature pump failure. Thanks for clearing that up. What size micron filter are you running on the feed line? I believe most remote filter housing have a 1/2 npt in and out so i would have to get a fitting that steps down from 1/2npt to the 1/8npt on the turbo? From the turbo i could use the stock location oil dump port on the block or should i just run it down into the pan? Maybe a fiitting towards the top of the pan so it gravity feeds down?

As I recall, the in-line supply filter is a Moroso with a 40 micron screen?

I have done the turbo return both ways. If you return to the pan, you must be sure the line/fitting at the must be above the oil level.

I drilled and tapped the remote filter to add the supply line for the turbo. I also have my oil pressure sender there too.

So on the Remote filter housing you tapped a 1/8npt port and the out fitting on the remote oil filter housing runs back down into the pan above the oil level.(Makes sense) That's what I was also wondering so you have 2 return lines from the turbo to the pan and from the filter housing to the pan?

So on the Remote filter housing you tapped a 1/8npt port and the out fitting on the remote oil filter housing runs back down into the pan above the oil level.(Makes sense) That's what I was also wondering so you have 2 return lines from the turbo to the pan and from the filter housing to the pan?

One line from the filter sends pressurized oil to the turbo. The turbo drain line can go to the stock location. or into the pan.

The -10 out line at the remote filter must go to supply the engine with pressurized oil.

Here is a pic of the TA external oil pump w/o the hoses and the fittings on the oil pan:

TA MOTOR 1H.jpg