Duttweiler neck or CAS V4s

Cleaner13

The Cleaner
ok I cant really decide what I am going to want to do but I am trying to plan for the future

I want to be able to run 12s in stock form

I have seen the direct stock replacement CAS intercooler

and lots of people also recommended the duttweiler neck

besides the differences in price what is the potential of each?

would the duttweiler neck be enough to get to 12's on the street?

also can you use the duttweiler neck on the CAS V4S

how difficult/easy is the install for the duttweiler neck

sorry about all the questions

just trying to learn alot at once
thanks ahead of time guys

Carl

Carl,
If I were you I would save your money and get the Dutweiler neck. Especially if you are looking for 12's. I think it is fairly common to see a cars to go 12's with stock turbo/intercoolers.
Ask Jay Jackson (YGETV8)... right Jay?

Tim

P.S.
I think you don't need a Dut. neck if you have a CAS V4. I'm pretty sure they eliminated the restrictive inlet.

Carl,
You do not need to put a duttweiler neck on a CAS V4. The CAS intercooler is good to go as is. Now if your ultimate goal is to run 12's then I agree that you only need to install the dutt. neck. It is a helluva lot cheaper and will give you the performance you're looking for. As far as potential there are guys running the CAS V-4's into the 10's. The stock intercooler w/the neck replaced will get you into the 11's. The big difference between the two is in the efficiency of the intercooler. The airflow through the CAS unit is going to flow much better (and cooler) than the stock unit. For your goal though I would recommend replacing the neck, if that is your "ultimate" goal.
:cool:

To run 12s you don't need either one and it doubtful, in my opinion, that the Duttweiller neck will do much in the levels required to run 12s. It might give you a tenth. MIght give you another tenth in the 11s.

The benefit, in your case, with the Dutt neck is that you'll still be utilizing your stock I/C or another stock core, so it'll fit perfectly. With any aftermarket I/C, you may have some mods to perform on brackets, etc, or the I/C may not fit in there exactly level (at least from my experience with the V4S). Some people are comfortable with drilling brackets, and some aren't. It's just a judgement call on your end.

I purchased a modified stock I/C from Mease Performance and was very happy with the quality, fit and finish. I know that "Mease" is a bad word on this board right now, but just giving my .02.

And with my peformance goals, I probably didn't really need it but I went for the modded neck anyway. It was also less expensive than a new aftermarket I/C, and keeps me in line with my goal of remaining largely stock-appearing.

HTH
Rich:D

I think I saw that the V4s has been discontinued. This was on the CAS website. CAS's V4 intercoolers already have a high flow elbow on them.

David

The Dut neck freed up 3lbs of boost on my setup not too mention quicker spool up. I have heard some guys saying that the V4 did nothing for them over the Dut neck unless they were running on a 100* day with several runs...this was with the stock turbo.

Save a Bunch..........

If you want to run 12's or even high 11's, just hog out your stock intercooler neck with a 2" welder's sanding flap wheel and a drill. You will get much of the benefit of a larger neck for virtually nothing. Just make sure that you work as far into the radius as possible and make the entrance a nice smooth cone shape.

TG

I loved my CAS V4! Couldn't fit anything much bigger, the fit and finish were great, and it really helped my performance by removing the bottleneck in my inlet system.

You wont get the same results by opening up the stock inlet. You can make it flow a tad better, and gain maybe 1lb of boost, but thats it. I installed a dutt neck IC, bellmouthed the inlet and cut off the rolled lips on both ends of the up-pipe. I gained 4psi. 18 before, 22 after. Given there is about a 6psi drop before and after on a stock IC, 4psi is no joke. I opened up my stock inlet before I did the dutt neck IC and gained almost 1psi. Big deal. You just cant get inside the neck properly with porting tools.