Dusty is Running at Outlaw Radial Event 2-27-11

Dusty's car was looking great and flying, not sure how he did today, had to leave last night.

Think he went a 4.71 yesterday if I remember correctly!!

I heard from dusty this evening!
"Making progress though. 4.86 at 155 on 23psi. 4.87 at 138 lifting on 26psi."
Dusty Bradford

He has a 7 plus hour drive home tonight.
I just spoke to him a little will ago.
The car is going in for 25.3 update and should be back out in about a month.
If you thought the car was sick before, just wait!

Overall a good weekend. Changes from the last race were the swap from the 9.5 converter to the 10.5 and we took out the Wolfe anti-roll bar and replaced it with the large bar from TRZ. It took several passes to get the launch back into the 1.3 range. The flash stall of the 10.5 is much lower so my tune-up that would normally 60ft 1.27 would only go 1.47.

1st pass we broke the clutch hub in the tranny. We pulled it out and replaced it Thursday and then went 5.08 at 155mph, still working on the 60' and 330' times.

During qualifying it went a best of 4.86 at 157 on 23psi on it's only full pass for the rest of the weekend. 60' was only 1.32 with a 3.27 to the 330' so the car was still soft on the front half, boost was all in by 2.8 seconds. I started working to get the 60' down and put more boost in so the next couple passes resulted in tire spin. Some travel limit and shock adjustments cured that but the chassis just isn't enough for the power the engine is making. I worked the boost up to 27psi but the car is not predictable. It ran 1.29 60' and was on its way to a low 4.80, maybe high 70 pass but two passes in a row the car made a hard right turn after the gear change. Resulting in a 4.94 at 133 followed by a 4.87 at 138.

Elimination day a new issue popped up. Something is causing the XFI system to loose power for a second after the launch. Most likely a loose wire somewhere that I never found. All 3 passes the car would shut down as you lifted the gas, never dieing, just like you lifted off the gas. No log in the XFI points it to a blink in power supply. 3rd pass I thought I had it fixed as it went 1.26 to the 60' then shut off at around the 2 second mark.

The car was not able to be upgraded to 25.3 over the winter but is going into the shop this week. Plans are to have it back out in a month but my boy Chad Henderson is making a major engine change so our chassis shop will have more to do during the next 4 weeks than we originally planned.

Changes will be 25.3 chassis and a new fab housing from TRZ with 40 spline axles and aluminum center section, looking to gain strength and loose some weight.

There will be more pics and video of the event surfacing. Dom has some great pics of the car.

Elimination day a new issue popped up. Something is causing the XFI system to loose power for a second after the launch. Most likely a loose wire somewhere that I never found. All 3 passes the car would shut down as you lifted the gas, never dieing, just like you lifted off the gas. No log in the XFI points it to a blink in power supply. 3rd pass I thought I had it fixed as it went 1.26 to the 60' then shut off at around the 2 second mark.

Sorry, I couldn't figure it out while you were at the track. I've thought things over more and have a few ideas. Give me a call.

I had a friends car that was having the same problem, the car would launch and immediately lose power and then pick right back up. No log in the ECU. We looked for loose wires, but never found them. Turned out that the positive cable was moving when the car launched and it rubbed a hole in jacket that would only ground out on a hard launch. If the car left soft, we never had the problem. It doesn't have to be a total loss of voltage either. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing there is a low voltage shutoff somewhere around 8 or 9 volts.

Is David Lemmond doing your chassis work also? He is very quickly becoming the go to guy for G-body outlaw radial cars. I wish I had the cash to let him do mine.

I had a friends car that was having the same problem, the car would launch and immediately lose power and then pick right back up. No log in the ECU. We looked for loose wires, but never found them. Turned out that the positive cable was moving when the car launched and it rubbed a hole in jacket that would only ground out on a hard launch. If the car left soft, we never had the problem. It doesn't have to be a total loss of voltage either. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing there is a low voltage shutoff somewhere around 8 or 9 volts.

Is David Lemmond doing your chassis work also? He is very quickly becoming the go to guy for G-body outlaw radial cars. I wish I had the cash to let him do mine.

Yes. David will be doing the work. He's the closest chassis shop to me but is also more familiar with the G-body than anyone around.

I will be tearing all the wiring out for the chassis work anyway so everything will be new. XFI gets it's power from a new painless fuse panel I installed when i built the car. I know it's not main power related as the MSD 7531 log is good. It has to be the new panel or the XFI box. It's a very quick blip. The car never shuts off but the XFI log is not there.

Henderson

Overall a good weekend. Changes from the last race were the swap from the 9.5 converter to the 10.5 and we took out the Wolfe anti-roll bar and replaced it with the large bar from TRZ. It took several passes to get the launch back into the 1.3 range. The flash stall of the 10.5 is much lower so my tune-up that would normally 60ft 1.27 would only go 1.47.

1st pass we broke the clutch hub in the tranny. We pulled it out and replaced it Thursday and then went 5.08 at 155mph, still working on the 60' and 330' times.

During qualifying it went a best of 4.86 at 157 on 23psi on it's only full pass for the rest of the weekend. 60' was only 1.32 with a 3.27 to the 330' so the car was still soft on the front half, boost was all in by 2.8 seconds. I started working to get the 60' down and put more boost in so the next couple passes resulted in tire spin. Some travel limit and shock adjustments cured that but the chassis just isn't enough for the power the engine is making. I worked the boost up to 27psi but the car is not predictable. It ran 1.29 60' and was on its way to a low 4.80, maybe high 70 pass but two passes in a row the car made a hard right turn after the gear change. Resulting in a 4.94 at 133 followed by a 4.87 at 138.

The car was not able to be upgraded to 25.3 over the winter but is going into the shop this week. Plans are to have it back out in a month but my boy Chad Henderson is making a major engine change so our chassis shop will have more to do during the next 4 weeks than we originally planned.

Changes will be 25.3 chassis and a new fab housing from TRZ with 40 spline axles and aluminum center section, looking to gain strength and loose some weight.

There will be more pics and video of the event surfacing. Dom has some great pics of the car.
Is chad going big bore engine 11.625 height ?

Not sure on the deck height but it will be a 5 inch bore space 738ci.
Now thats my boy! Boy she's gonna rock is he trying to beat up on some turbo boys!Hopefully he keeps it as stock looking as possible can't wait to see it . Is it happening right away? Also congrats on your car dusty it also is a very stout peice lookout when you get it dialed in.Keep up the good work!

Now thats my boy! Boy she's gonna rock is he trying to beat up on some turbo boys!Hopefully he keeps it as stock looking as possible can't wait to see it . Is it happening right away? Also congrats on your car dusty it also is a very stout peice lookout when you get it dialed in.Keep up the good work!

Yes it's happening soon. Front frame rails need to be notched to clear the oil pan kickout then build new headers but the motor will be swapped soon. There was a 706ci car that ran 4.5 something at 164 on stock suspension at the last race so it's very capable of keeping up with the boosted cars.

Yes it's happening soon. Front frame rails need to be notched to clear the oil pan kickout then build new headers but the motor will be swapped soon. There was a 706ci car that ran 4.5 something at 164 on stock suspension at the last race so it's very capable of keeping up with the boosted cars.

Dusty any updates on chads car?

Dusty any updates on chads car?

Lots of work needed to get the engine in. It's been at the chassis shop for a week but he picked it up tonight to put the 632 back in for this weekends race.

The frame had to be notched for the oil pan kickout, rack will have to be moved for oil pump, dry sump tank mounted, firewall had to be notched in 2 places to clear the heads because the deck is a lot longer than a stock bore space engine. The heads were hitting the firewall, new headers still need to be built, have to set-up the intake for fuel injection, new throttle linkage for the throttle bodies. LOTS of work still to do.

Lots of work needed to get the engine in. It's been at the chassis shop for a week but he picked it up tonight to put the 632 back in for this weekends race.

The frame had to be notched for the oil pan kickout, rack will have to be moved for oil pump, dry sump tank mounted, firewall had to be notched in 2 places to clear the heads because the deck is a lot longer than a stock bore space engine. The heads were hitting the firewall, new headers still need to be built, have to set-up the intake for fuel injection, new throttle linkage for the throttle bodies. LOTS of work still to do.
I didn't think it was going to be easy thats for sure in the future see if you could get some pics!!!! That would be very cool! thanks