Durability of the transaxle....

Falcon351C

This question is for the guys that have done the basic mods on gtp's and regals. I want to add a smaller pulley and cold air kit to my mom's 98' riv and im pretty sure it has the same transaxle as the regals and gtps. I have my dad convinced about it....But i posted on another board about it...and one guy replyed...saying that he didnt think the transaxle would fair very well against the increase boost and that the trans would need to be beefed up. Also he stated...that with the supercharger spinning faster...he thought excessive heat would build up. Is this true?? This car wont be raced at the track...but we want to have fun with it...so will the pulley and cold air kit be too much for the transaxle? I know it wont grenade it...but...realisticly....Will this shorten the life of the transaxle? I really want to do the swaps...but there is no way my dad will beef the transaxle up..and the car has almost 100,000 miles on it...so i want to make sure this wouldnt be a "death trap" for the car. Thanks....

I have run my 1999 Regal for 270+ 1/4 miles passes. It has 82K miles on it. My best time so far is 13.051 @ 105.28 mph, it started at 14.57 @ 92 mph

Last fall I got a tranny code and the tranny puked. It happened to be a clogged cooler line. It wasted the TC and Diff.

I just finished my tranny rebuild, and I'd say the clutches and bands were in great shape. I think for the hell I put it through it looked great. If I did not get the clog, I think things would have gone normally for another season.

I have slightly modded my car:

Cam
Valve springs
P&P intake, heads, and exhaust
Forged pistons
Intercooler
LSD
3" downpipe
CAI
2.8" pulley
Ubend and resonator gone
Nitto DR's for the track

It is also my daily driver and I love it. You will be fine with those mods.

A CAI and a smaller pulley will not cause any problems with the transmission with normal driving. The supercharger does not produce high amounts of boost at normal driving rpms 0- 3000k rpm, although I did notice a quciker amount of boost with my 3.4 pulley. I have also exhaust mods done to the car and have made a couple runs at the track, and have not any problems yet. Your car would probably be in the mid to high 14's with a pulley and CAI. It 's when you start getting into the mid 13s and lower that are transmissions have problems with hodling up to the modificatoins we do to our cars. I would go ahead and install the pulley and CAI, it will really wake up the car.

Eric