dumb question

denn454

turbo swimmer
but i want to know... i was told the syc's were non intercooled, i was looking around on ebay today and saw a very nice one in florida who said it was intercooled, it looked like it was stock and if an intercooler wasn't on there from the factory, he wouldn't have put one.

another question that matters a bit more. i noticed that they have vacume brakes, having vacume barkes on my tr i know that relying on vacume to stop a turbo car is flat out stupid, and i'm hoping it wasnt' done from the factory. did they use a vacume pump to help out? if so how well did it work?

Where in florida, and yes the came intercooled from the factory.
And yes they are vacuum brake system with 4 wheel anti lock.

i don't remember where at in florida, i think it said but i dont' remember. theres only 2 on ebay right now, it was the better looking of the 2.

and did they have a vacume pump so the brakes work under boost, like to stop, build boost then creep up to the line?

Originally posted by denn454
and did they have a vacume pump so the brakes work under boost, like to stop, build boost then creep up to the line?

Brakes are vacuum assisted..no motor or pump. Building boost is easily done by prestaging, put trans in neutral, rev engine to ~4krpm, and as the revs are coming down stand on the brakes as hard as you can. Once the other guy has fully staged start building boost and SLIGHTLY ease up on the brakes so you roll into the final stage beam. Once you have rolled into the final stage beam let up on the throttle and press the brake pedal back down HARD. Now you can build as much boost as you like (up to about 14psi) and wait for the lights to come down and watch the other guy dissapear when you let off the brakes and mat the gas pedal.

Thats how I do it and I can hold just under 15psi at the line with the brakes. Just remember to stand on the pedal like your trying to break it off and you also need to check out www.syty.net FAQ and links pages which will tell you almost everything you need to know about sytys.

i've tryed that, i have no problem keeping the frount wheels locked up, its the rear ones that like to burn away (t-type, not a syc) so its find a vacume pump, go back to the powermaster, or find a hydraboost. good brakes might be the answer too...

Originally posted by denn454
i've tryed that, i have no problem keeping the frount wheels locked up, its the rear ones that like to burn away (t-type, not a syc) so its find a vacume pump, go back to the powermaster, or find a hydraboost. good brakes might be the answer too...

Several reasons why that is happening...

1. The xfer case is not a geared type case, its a viscous coupling unit. Its almost like theres another torque converter in there that will allow the rear (or poss the front) tires to get more torque if the brakes cant hold (see #2). Basically, whichever end of the truck has the weakest brakes will spin the tires when building boost against the brakes.

2. Rear brakes are stockers... To hold the boost I mentioned you MUST install the larger rear cylinders that most syty ppl (along with most Buick ppl) use. Also buy TWO sets of rear brake shoes and install the two primary shoes on both sides. The primaries are the shoes with friction material covering the entire surface not just 2/3s of it. Lastly buy the cheapest no name and no warranty having shoes the local parts chain offers. These are softer and bite WAY better than the "life time" shoes do.

3. You possibly have a high milage, bad, or going bad transfer case. Its not that common but does happen. The only thing that is servicable in there is the chain. The viscous coupling is impossible to get apart without destroying it (yes, Ive tried on a junk case). The only fix here is a new or good used transfer case.

4. You can find all this stuff (and more) in the "Links" and "FAQ" of the site I posted the addy to.

i think you mis understood me, i have a t-type, the buick. not a syclone. I do have vacume brakes on it and have to do something about them. I say the syclones had vacume brakes too and was wondering if you guys had any tricks. thanks for the help though, i didn't know hardly anythign about thoes trucks...