Dumb Question About Fuel Cells....

DoWork

I was thinking this morning about my fuel cell project, and I came up with this question. Hopefully someone can help me out.

Now, if I am not mistaken, the stock tank is 17ish gallons. If I were to put a 12 gallon cell in with a GM 0-90 ohm sending unit, would the factory gauge reading be off? As in, 3/4 tank on the gauge would really mean the cell is full? OR, does it somehow "fix" itself?

Thanks in advance,
-Todd

The stock sending unit measures the "height" level of the remaining fuel.

Yep

Some more thought for you....
Some of my experience with fuel cells (keep in mind I race the car):
When I first installed a cell in my car, I put a 20 gal w/ a GM compatible sending unit. size: 24L x 20W x 10H. I put 5 gal of race fuel in which more than enough to make a few passes. But here come the problem......Since the dimensions of the tank is so big, the fuel level would only be 2.5" high (1/4 tank). And at times it would slosh around which uncovered the sump. So in order to keep the sump covered, I had to put more than 10 gals of fuel in.

I removed the 20 gal and put a 10 gal, size 16.5H x 16.5L x 9H. The same 5 gals of fuel is now 4.5" high (1/2 tank).

Race fuel weighs around 7lb-8lb a gal.

20 gal....10 gal min x 7 = 70lbs mininum
10 gal.....5 gal x 7 = 35lbs

And I lost some weight due to the smaller cell.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Thanks for the input guys. I had planned on doing a 12 gallon cell. So, there shouldnt be an issue there. I knew how the stock sending unit worked, and I guess I just assumed that the sending unit in the cell would act differently, but now that I think about it more, I am an idiot. It shouldnt matter what size tank its in, as long as the arm is being moved up, it will read right.....I'm sorry, I had a blonde moment yesterday.