DSM goes down hard....

Originally posted by Boost1
Yeah so??? From a roll or launching the car. Those car need good driver. Try shifting a 5 speed turbo car from a roll ,and keeping the boost up high. How fast was your DSM?

Never got into making it fast, it was my only car and I was having reliability issues, so I had to sell it. But seriously, all you need to figure when racing from a roll is "Gee, should I start in 2nd or 3rd?" and after that shifting the damn thing isn't any different from any other manual transmission.

I gave you the launching thing, yeah it takes more skill. But nobody will ever convince me that racing from a roll in ANY car is difficult.

Originally posted by SyHopeful
Never got into making it fast, it was my only car and I was having reliability issues, so I had to sell it. But seriously, all you need to figure when racing from a roll is "Gee, should I start in 2nd or 3rd?" and after that shifting the damn thing isn't any different from any other manual transmission.

I gave you the launching thing, yeah it takes more skill. But nobody will ever convince me that racing from a roll in ANY car is difficult.

Ok I will break it down for you. If you shift the car like garbage. Then boost will drop off alot ,but if you can shift the car then the boost will not drop off that much. It's really pretty simple.

I have ran my buddies 91 Talon turbo awd and never had a problem getting on it. Just ran it to redline then shifted.

Nick

what is a DSM?

for the record TRs can run 11's with stock turbo

who on this board cares about mitsubishi? i mean they make nice TVs and what not, but thats it...

Originally posted by kshef
what is a DSM?
It short for Diamond Star Motors. The 4 cyl n/a & turbo'ed that were in the 1st & 2nd gen talon/eclipse/lazers and a few other mitsu's. It is also basically the same motor in the new EVO.

Nick

Wanna of my buddys has a bone stock motor (turbo and all) going I think 11.68 now. The kick is it is a FWD.

The catch is its basically a tin can with a motor tranny and tires. BIG time weight reductions going on here. Still you have to admire a little stock 4 cylinder running mid 11's.

If not for the broken driveshaft my old blacky would have ran mid 11's easy. Stock motor full weight but definately not stock turbo on regular firestones and 93 octane.

Sometimes I miss the DSM's I have had over the years. I beat plenty of F-bodys, Mustangs, Muscle cars (including a Viper RT and a Z06 vette) and yes a couple of GN's but make no mistake I love my GN. ;)

well my awd dsm is real easy to drive 6200 rpm launch slip the clutch a little then shift fast. in my opinion awd is much easier to drive then a manual rwd or fwd .

Originally posted by 85 TR
well my awd dsm is real easy to drive 6200 rpm launch slip the clutch a little then shift fast. in my opinion awd is much easier to drive then a manual rwd or fwd .
I have to call a BS on this. With AWD your launch is either rocket away or bog, no in-between.

Nick

I have to agree there is a fine line with the AWD between bogging and getting out hard. But the FWDs are not much better with them its either bogging or spinning till next week.

85TR- I see in your sig you have a DSM but its running 14's and your launching at 6200? I had a couple of mid to high 11 ones and always launched like 4500-5500 tops. To me unless your were running a very very hopped up DSM I do not see launching at 6200. The redline is not whole lot past that.

don't knock those car to hard I own one also. :) 97 gts just to say that 4 banger can hold 450-500 hp at the crank no problem all day long with bone stock internals. No joke. and for those of you who go down to glen burnie from time to time know that it can lay down a LS1 car with bolt ons all day long. a good limited slip diff and nice clutch it will pull 1.8's on g-force ta's thats as good as most street tire cars out there. oh yeah I only have a self ported evo turbo , front mount, ported exh/ intake. full " + the above mentioned clutch/ lsd.

I will slap a stock GN any day with it. However I love my GN !!

I am not a ricer !! I built the mitsu for the wife !!

AWD, big 16G (20G would be easier), injectors, Clutch, intake, AFC, Exhaust, and preferably a decent intercoller upgrade.

Originally posted by kshef
what would it take to make a DSM run 12.0?
full weight and interior
550 injectors,20g,turbo back exhaust,fuel pump,boost controller,front mount,2600 clutch pressure plate,and a vein pressure converter.

Actually I ran mid 11's with out a VPC or a 2600 clutch. A 20G is going to be hard on 550's. 660's would work a little better with that turbo.

Or you can skip all of that gut the hell out of it and you could do it with stock turbo,injectors,ic and all. :)

super 16, 660's afc,intake pipe/filter, 3" turbo back. Clutch masters 2500, LSD, and 225 nitto drag radial on a fwd. The balls to lauch hard.

Originally posted by I eat Z06
It short for Diamond Star Motors. The 4 cyl n/a & turbo'ed that were in the 1st & 2nd gen talon/eclipse/lazers and a few other mitsu's. It is also basically the same motor in the new EVO.

Nick

the EVO engine is setup differently, it also comes with a EVO 16g turbo stock.

not the same engine, just shares the 4g63 title :) just like how there are SOHC non turbo 4g63s (which share almost nothign with the dohc 46g3t which is in DSMs).