Dry Ice & Alky

TurboSy

Has anyone tried dropping a small slab of dry ice in there alky tank, of course you'll need to be running 100% alky, but this might be a way to super cool the air intake temps. I was about to try this yesterday, but we got hit with some snow.

I just talk to Brad (aquamist guy) and he said it can be done but the dry ice needs to be contained because it contains co2, which doesn't burn, so if we put the dry ice in some type of container and then drop it in, it should work extremely well.

Now I've got it, how about running a cool can like the carb guys use and fill it with dry ice, I bet that'd work sweet.

When I first read this I couldn't figure out why the heck you would want to cool down the alcohol. Then I thought about it and realized that most tanks are under the hood while mine is in the trunk.

Here is a simple way depending on how big the mouth to your tank is. Just use regular ice. If you mix the alky with water of course.

Originally posted by Crazi
When I first read this I couldn't figure out why the heck you would want to cool down the alcohol. Then I thought about it and realized that most tanks are under the hood while mine is in the trunk.

Here is a simple way depending on how big the mouth to your tank is. Just use regular ice. If you mix the alky with water of course.

The colder the alky the more heat it can absorb, basically the idea is to get the alky well below 0 df, since methanol doesn't freeze until -144 df, it'll work with dry ice. Regular ice cubes will work, but why settle with less.

Sounds like a great idea. I have a fuel cell so ice cube out of my freezer will fit just fine. But hey it is damn near below freezing most of the time in the dc area anyway so I'll consider this in the summer.

You can't seal dry ice in an air tight container...it'll blow it. Dry ice, is pure C02, and it's constantly emitting its gas. In the old movies, you always see the "smoking" flask mad scientist's lab. That's the C02. The reason you see so much fog is from the amount of gas emitted. This tells you just how much gas is "melting".

I've suggested in the past that one put dry ice in their fuel cooler. I'm sure you good rig a similiar set up for alky. I know nothing about the hardware configuration, but if you do, be sure to vent the escaping C02 gas away from the air filter. It'll easily suffocate the motor. Dry ice will kick wet ice's butt as far as cooling ability. Wet ice = 0º C, Dry ice = -70º C.

I like this one: Moroso Cool Can

Terry

That's the same cooler I was looking at, only problem is the lines inside that cooler are aluminum, not sure methanol and aluminum are a good match up.