DR's or suspension upgrades?

tsaltario

Still learning!!!!!
Hello all, wanted to weigh in on your opinions....

I'm very happy with how my engine and tranny are working right now, but am finding that I'm having a hell of a time hooking up. the car is driven 99% of the time on the street. Maybe one or two trips a year to the track.

Besides boxed LCA's and dual air bags, my rear suspension is stock, and I'm running Bridgestone potenza, 245/15's. (Can't recall the side wall right now, we're in the middle of blizzard)

SO

Should I spend about $400 on drag radials? and probably replace them every year, or more

Or would I hook as well with street tires, and a full rear end suspension upgrade? (uppers and lowers, beefier sway bar) Probably spend closer to $1000, but not replacing it all the time?

Discuss.

Nitto 555R 275/50/15
about $160.00 ea.
Very nice & you can run for about 2 yrs (if you are careful!?!) ;)

D

You won't get the benefit of the drag radials IF your car won't go straight when launched. I have a similar setup to you with 275 60 15 Nittos (great tire), boxed upper and lowers, dual air bags and stock sway bar. The car will NOT go straight in first gear. The Nittos hook pretty good but the car doesn't load the rear tires equally and once one starts spinning, it is all over. You have to get out of it, get car straight and then back in it which by then is too late. So I'm putting in an H&R bar very soon - THEN I can use the benefit of the drag radials. If you don't have that problem, head for the tire store.

Thanks for the info guys. When the snow melts (again!) I'll probably upgrade to a good aftermarket swaybar, and see if that helps. Save the pennies, and try out some DR's too..

My driver's side tire likes to spin first, so this might help out.

On Full Throttle Speed's web page, they have 2 different sway bars, a 1 3/8" for $159.99, and another one for $489. Obviously the more expensive one is better, but any thoughts on how much better? Would the 1 3/8ths bar even be an improvement over my stock one?

thanks again!

If your car is lighting one tire off first, I'd have to say you have some other issues to address first. Better check the diff!. Also, I have a stock suspension car, no drag shocks, no drag springs, no air bags, factory control arms. Leaves and goes straight on M/T DR's.

Jas

No offense meant but what kind of power are you making? A decent set of DR's will bite well enough on a mid 12 sec car for it to go straight even with a stock bar. It's when you have a lot of torque that can easily over power the DR's that NOT going straight becomes an issue.

About my rear end, I have a sneaky suspision my posi clutches are getting worn. On a roll, with light tire spin, the driver's side goes first. Under harder excelleration, or a burnout, both tires destroy the pavement. ;-)

Even then, I have a Heck of a time hooking. I'll peddle it through first and halfway through second with both tires barely keeping traction. I know both tires were spinning, my buddy in his Typhoon was beside me.

thanks for all the input guys.

Any thoughts on the different sway bars I mentioned earlier on this post?

Thanks