Driver's side head gasket--blown?

HOFSGNX

Just got done capping the turbo inlet where the emissions pipe feeds in. Put PCV valve on driver's side valve cover near oil fill and connected to passenger side vacuum line. Capped passenger side PVC valve. Set TPS to .46. Test drove car to check wide open throttle with scan master. WOT read 4.52 after 2 hard runs on the street (max boost is only around 12-13 PSI on this car). Turned around at a gas station and noticed smoke coming out of driver's side hood vent. Brought car home, put up on ramps. Oil on driver's side spark plug wires and driver's side lower part of engine. Car is bone stock with 7800 miles on it. Did I just blow my driver's side head gasket? HELP!

Do you have a breather in your other valve cover?

Did you remove a breather for the pcv?

Sounds like you have a valve cover gasket leak. Might try tightening down a little bit. Or replace it! With that low of mileage on it.

You have to have at least 1 nice size breather when running a pcv in our cars. See, a pcv only works at low end when the motor is pulling vacuum.
Once you come into boost it closes and the preasere in the crankcase has no where to go. Thats where the breather comes in letting the preasure out.
Sound like the oil came out the dip stick tube.

probably VC gasket. With that little bit of boost I don't really see a HG going unless you have something really wrong.

I received this plan for moving all these items around from John (Performance). Great guy, I must have missed something. I know he is still sending me an oil fill breather, which I should have put on next week when it gets here - is that my problem? Just trying to keep the oil from getting into the Intercooler and the rest of the induction system.

From what I see as I investigate further it may be my dip stick - but can that much oil come out of there? If that is all, what a relief.

Is there a better way to set WOT with the scanmaster other than driving it and chancing blowing this thing up?

As you can tell, this thing is not spooling properly, way too slow (the RPM's get up to 5,000 much faster than the boost gets up to 10 max in first gear) and not high enough (about 10 - 11 for 1st to second gear and 12 - 13 for 2nd to 3rd). John mentioned it could be the wastegate, he is sending me a new adjustable one, or the boost solenoid - which appears to have a lot of oil on it, is that unusual?

Thats it, you need that breather.

You can check wot with key on motor off.

Oily wastgate solonoid? Where did the oil come from?

SPOOLN said:
Sounds like you have a valve cover gasket leak. Might try tightening down a little bit. Or replace it! With that low of mileage on it.
7800 miles = 31,200 1/4 mile passes

Never go by mileage when a turbo is involved ;)

leave the ****in car alone !!! :mad: sorry but you havent a clue what you are doin .. find someone local who can look at it that know's the cars :redface:

Where exactley are you located HOFSGNX? Maybe there's someone on here who could help you troubleshoot the car. Sounds like there's quite a few problems with it.

HOFSGNX said:
Is there a better way to set WOT with the scanmaster other than driving it and chancing blowing this thing up?QUOTE]
I put this in your other thread. Guess you didnt read my reply....
For future reference, you can check the WOT TPS by sitting in your garage with the ingnition on/motor off. You should NEVER EVER go wot without having the scanmaster on the knock o2 reading....

Jason

Thanks guys for the help. I am located in the Grand Rapids area of Michigan. Anybody live near me that could help me trouble shoot this Turbo TA before I blow it up. The boost does not spool up anything like my 87 GNX clone. This thing is spools up very slow and will not go over 10 psi in 1st and 12-13 psi in 2nd to 3rd.

The Wastegate Solenoid appears to be oily, but could be residue - I do not know where it came from.

I am getting oil on the top of the Intercooler starting from the drivers side. I have no idea where it is coming from. I thought it was the hose that connects to the UP pipe so I will start there.

Anyone want to meet me here in Grand Rapids, or know someone that has this car near me and could help out? Hey 72 Firebird, South Bend is only an hour and a half away, what do you think?

You probley blew out the seal on the harmonic balancer. Feel behined the balancer to see if the seal poped out. I've seen it before in this same situation. (no breathers)

I would help but I'm too far. I will help with questions though.
Rick

It does not appear to be anything popped out in the area of the harmonic balancer. I am pretty sure all the oil came out the oil check tube. I think I am all set, all I need is the breather for the oil fill cap from John' Performance - should be here early next week. No breathers on the passenger side with his set-up. Hopefully this takes care of the oil going into the intercooler, etc.

HOFSGNX said:
Thanks guys for the help. I am located in the Grand Rapids area of Michigan. Anybody live near me that could help me trouble shoot this Turbo TA before I blow it up. The boost does not spool up anything like my 87 GNX clone. This thing is spools up very slow and will not go over 10 psi in 1st and 12-13 psi in 2nd to 3rd.

The Wastegate Solenoid appears to be oily, but could be residue - I do not know where it came from.

I am getting oil on the top of the Intercooler starting from the drivers side. I have no idea where it is coming from. I thought it was the hose that connects to the UP pipe so I will start there.

Anyone want to meet me here in Grand Rapids, or know someone that has this car near me and could help out? Hey 72 Firebird, South Bend is only an hour and a half away, what do you think?

I can meet up with you but I have a lot of things going on for the next couple weeks. Between car shows, getting a new job at the Hummer H1 plant, high school graduation, and setting up everything down at Purdue for the Fall I'm pretty busy. The next time that I'm really going to have much time is either next weekend or like July 3rd. Let me look if I can find a car show or something so that I have a reason to take the TTA up there to have something to easily reference off of instead of trying to search for stuff online constantly.

That would be awesome 72 Firebird! I am wide open next weekend - I am sure I can find a car show in the area. The July 3rd weekend, my family and I are going to Wisconsin so that won't work.

HOFSGNX said:
That would be awesome 72 Firebird! I am wide open next weekend - I am sure I can find a car show in the area. The July 3rd weekend, my family and I are going to Wisconsin so that won't work.

Alright well I'll try and get a trailer and everything but I'm not going to make any garuntees. Just to make sure though, your car is all stock right?

HOFSGNX said:
It does not appear to be anything popped out in the area of the harmonic balancer. I am pretty sure all the oil came out the oil check tube. I think I am all set, all I need is the breather for the oil fill cap from John' Performance - should be here early next week. No breathers on the passenger side with his set-up. Hopefully this takes care of the oil going into the intercooler, etc.

Hey HOF, Get under the front end of the car by the lower front motor pully. (harmonic balancer) Between the motor and the balancer you have your front motor seal. Look closley between the two with a flashlight. You will see if it popped out. It should be sitting flush in the motor. I would bet its came out.

72 Firebird, yes the car is all stock except for a test pipe, and the emissions rerouting on the valve covers/turbo inlet that I just did this weekend per John (performance). John is sending me a Crankcase Breather kit, new Wastegate Control Hose and .040 Orifice, Cam Sensor Adjustment tool (I need to pick up a compression guage unless you have one that you can bring along), Adjustable Wastegate Actuator, and a T fitting for my Fuel Pressure Gauge (that I currently have on my 87 Turbo Buick). We can put this stuff on and do the CAM adjustment as well - your expertise will sure be great!

Rick 87GN, I will double check with your suggestions, but I think I am OK on the seal being popped out.

I have never seen a front seal on the GM front cover blow out .. it's installed from behind so how the hell is it goin to push out ??? :rolleyes: :confused: