Drive Shaft question

84_t-type

Anyone know what the best and safest way to clean surface rust off a drive shaft? I'm not sure if hitting it with sand paper or a wire wheel is a good idea. I am painting the axel and control arms and want to have the drive shaft looking good too. Can it be painted?

This might sound alittle weird, i've seen people that used coca cola to help remove surface rust off metal surfaces.
The acid in it seems to cut through it, not sure it'd be practical to try on a driveshaft with some non-scratching scrubbing items to remove the rust in that method. As long as whatever you do doesnt put heat into the drive shaft to alter the shape or balance of the driveshaft, should be able to remove the rust from the driveshaft.
Depending on how much your time is worth and what the materials cost, you might end up looking into just buying one already done up and balanced.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

IF your driveshaft is that rusty you might want to replace it....if its just a little surface rust then remove it and buff it with a wire wheel and paint away....

Buy and use Navel Jelly. Brush it on wait one or two hours then wipe it off. There will be no rust. Then paint and or powder coat.

IF your driveshaft is that rusty you might want to replace it....if its just a little surface rust then remove it and buff it with a wire wheel and paint away....
It's mostly surface rust. Should i hit it with a wire brush by hand to avoid damage or is a grinder with a wheel ok?

I wouldn't get too crazy with it, just some light wire wheeling should do it or even the navel jelly idea would work pretty good.