drive belt specifications/belt tensioner?

sugarandopium

where were the spiders
probably a stupid question to the experienced, but ive never changed a belt on a car before :eek:

going to upgrade to a 240a alternator,
is there anything i should know about this job before i start?
somewhat wondering how the belt goes back on?
like how the belt tensioner works?
and any tools aside from the usual stuff i would need?

im fairly mechanically inclined, and have done alot to the car and been learning as i go along...
just have NO CLUE on changing belts or how a belt tensioner works and found no info in my copy of the manual
and this is the first "bolt on" install so far that dosen't seem painfully obvious.

just don't want to be stranded in the driveway putting the belt back on, any tips would be appreciated!!!

Piece of cake. On the front of the tension is a 17mm head bolt. Put a box-end wrench on it and turn it clockwise -- the tensioner will rotate up and put slack in the belt. Simply slip it off the alternator pulley then slowy release your tension on the tensioner.

Make sure to disconnect the ground at the battery.
On the lower-back of the alternator, remove the 15mm head bolt.
Loosen the bolt at the 1 o'clock position (as you face the front of the alternator).
Loosen and remove the long bolt at the 7 o'clock position. If you still have the factory intercooler, you'll need to slide the support off the same bolt, before you can remove it.
Take off the 10mm head nut holding the charge wire. Also unclip the brown sense wire.
Finish removing the 1 o'clock bolt. Lift the alternator straight up and then out.
I have to change my alternator every 2 years, and go do the whole thing in about 20 minutes now.
Hope this helps!
[Installation is the reverse set of directions, with re-connecting the ground as the last step]