Drag Radials/Slicks what do people run size wise.

Wahoo

What do people get away with on stock sized rims?

And what sizes do people use for aftermarket rims and what size tires do you run?

I understand 4.5" back spacing is what we should be running?

I understand 275/50/15 rubs on some cars and not on others, so what is the size tire that people go with to be safe when it comes to drag racing?

Im talking specifically the rear tires.

Nitto555rs generally run narrow, are people having luck fitting them as a 275/50/15 or what?

Thx

buHoosierpost: 3593750 said:
Subscribing
What do people get away with on stock sized rims?

And what sizes do people use for aftermarket rims and what size tires do you run?

I understand 4.5" back spacing is what we should be running?

I understand 275/50/15 rubs on some cars and not on others, so what is the size tire that people go with to be safe when it comes to drag racing?

Im talking specifically the rear tires.

Nitto555rs generally run narrow, are people having luck fitting them as a 275/50/15 or what?

Thx
275 60 15 Hoosier drag radial 8 inch rim 4 inch back spacing perfect fit on both sides.

MT 28x9 ET drag on a stock T wheel is plenty of tire as well, but on my T I had to run a spacer, on my GN, when I mounted the same ones on, they didn't need a spacer. Go figure. I have half inch billet hub centric spacers for my T's street wheels with 3 inch ARP studs. Now I run 26x10 on my Vector 15x8.5 inch wheels with 3.5 inch backspace, no spacer needed on the T.

275 60 Hoosier DR's on my Vector 15x8.5 3.5 backspace rubbed the outer wheel well trim, so they didn't fit with those wheels on my car. I ran 275 50 DR's on stock 15x7 T wheels no problem other than occasional rubbing the inner frame on the passenger side.

So my factory rims are 4.5" back spacing?

Im about to buy some nitto 555r drag radials, and on nittos websites they claim tire width inflated is 11.1".

My factory 215 tires appear to be 8.5-8.75" of width trying to eye ball it side wall to side wall.

So the nittos are roughly 2.25" wider im hoping they mean side wall to side wall, divided by 2 equals 1 and 1/8" each side wider. I think thats all i have for room to under the car approximately an inch between frame and stock tire.... I checked both sides and i hope they will fit.

Last edited:
I run 295 55r 15 M/T Drag Radials on Weld Drag Stars 10" with 4 1/5 BS. Rolled wheel well openings and no problems. A lot has to do with your power level. I need this much tire to get traction. I blew 275 Nittos away. BUT I also have H&R bar and Metco uppers and lowers.

Well i bought the 275/50/15 drag radials, i will install them on my stock rims tomorrow morning and then try them on and see what i have for clearance.

Now the tire spec for these say the minimum rim width should be 7.5" so i know im smaller, so maybe they will balloon a little in the middle, and the sides wont contact as much but im only going to run them for a couple races and probably get new rims next year.

Maybe since they will be mounted on stock rims they will fit easier and have more room near the frame but we will see.

I run 275 60 15, 8" rim 3.75 backspace and I need to roll the outer lips. I think the 255 60 15 looks more correct on our cars and you won't have any issues with rubbing

Bryan

I wont know truly until tomorrow but my rear quarter lips are higher than my tires, everything should be stock and the 275/50/15 should be same height, so i assume i shouldbt have a problem with my quarter lips. Only the frame might be a concern.

I installed my 275/50/15 nitto 555r drag radials on my stock t-type rims. I pulled the frame hole caps that have an HK on them(theyre orange), just in case they were going to rub.

I have about a half inch in between the tire and the frame on both sides. So they fit. I hope they dont rub when driving or at the track while launching, but i only have a few races til the end of the season so next year ill probably have new rims.

Funny how not wide they look on these big as cars lol

15x8 with 4" bs is perfect.3.5bs is too close to the wheel lips and will require them to be rolled and the car cant sit low. 275/60 mt et street radials fit great. The 275 pro radials are slightly wider, and work a lot better than the old mt radials. Getting the car sitting right also plays a roll in traction. Jacked up to clear big tires doesnt work as well as low on a tire that fits.

I use the 255/60/15 mt drag radials on a weld drag lite wheel .. it's a 8 inch wheel with a 3.5 inch back space.... you can also use the 275/60 on this wheel with no issues.

I went back to the 255/60 for the stance and its sits level with those vs the 275....

Besides the 255's work for me into the low 1.4x 60 fts...

15x8 with 4" bs is perfect.3.5bs is too close to the wheel lips and will require them to be rolled and the car cant sit low. 275/60 mt et street radials fit great. The 275 pro radials are slightly wider, and work a lot better than the old mt radials. Getting the car sitting right also plays a roll in traction. Jacked up to clear big tires doesnt work as well as low on a tire that fits.

Got pictures to share?

The 3.75" backspace will require a lip roll as well.
Go with the 4"

Bryan

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
275 /60 /15
Hoosier DR
Rims are 8" with 4" back spacing