Drag Radial air pressure??

WHOOPS, typed it wrong, it's a 295/65. This is not a TR, it's a n/a BBC. I will try a couple clicks on the shocks and see how that acts. Didn't want to mess too much with pinion angle as it works very well on the ET bias tire and slicks. I probably wont run the radial as much at the track. The best runs are 1.43 60'...6.53...10.29 with the bias street tire. This is leaving at 1500 on a footbrake.

Some one correct me if I'm wrong. But, I think you've got it backwards. I believe that a smaller rim puts more of a arch across the top of the tread. So you need to run "less" air pressure to bring it back in, and have a even foot print on the ground. A wider rim would open up the tire, and allow you to run "more" air pressure and still have a even foot print and tread wear.

Mike

I was thinking the same thing. The ET Streets I have are 26X10.5X15 and are bias ply ones. I'm using these on a stock T wheel with 28 PSI in them now. And yes it seems I need to run less pressure to flatten the tires out across the tread area.

They were free and they do hook up way better than the radials I had they just ride like crap coupled with those damn Cargo Springs :mad:

SpoolFool2

With the 275/60/15 being 28" tall, It's really to big for the 7" wheel. The oversize tire on the rim still has a good footprint with a little more air. We really didn't pick up anything under 20lbs of air, but the car started to get loose when we got under 16-18 lbs of air. Now this is on a 11.00 car with just a high 1.5 60ft. This is at a good hooking track. At reynolds this year's BOP it had 1.59 to 1.62 60ft with 23lbs of air and the track wasn't all that great, but the car FEELS REAL SAFE. Stock suspention car with solid lowers. T-Top car, I really haven't tried to push it any harder than that.

WHOOPS, typed it wrong, it's a 295/65. This is not a TR, it's a n/a BBC. I will try a couple clicks on the shocks and see how that acts. Didn't want to mess too much with pinion angle as it works very well on the ET bias tire and slicks. I probably wont run the radial as much at the track. The best runs are 1.43 60'...6.53...10.29 with the bias street tire. This is leaving at 1500 on a footbrake.

Track conditions can have a lot to do with it also. The ET Radials don't like a hot track and aren't as forgiving on a poorly prepped track.

All in all at your power level that tire should not shake on a decent track unless your instant center is messed up. If you had to raise the car a bit in the rear to get the tire to fit your instant center could be way off.

Track conditions can have a lot to do with it also. The ET Radials don't like a hot track and aren't as forgiving on a poorly prepped track.

All in all at your power level that tire should not shake on a decent track unless your instant center is messed up. If you had to raise the car a bit in the rear to get the tire to fit your instant center could be way off.

What do you know about radial racing anyway? haha...
:biggrin:

Could the same be true if the track was too cold? It was pretty cold that day (high 40's) but the track seemed to be prepped fairly well. I didn't have to change anything to fit the tire. I appreciate your knowledge and insight on this. I know I'm not dealing with a "world beater" here, just trying to see what it could do on the radial as I've never tried them before. They impress the hell out of me but needed some input from someone with more experience with them. Thanks!!

Could the same be true if the track was too cold? It was pretty cold that day (high 40's) but the track seemed to be prepped fairly well. I didn't have to change anything to fit the tire. I appreciate your knowledge and insight on this. I know I'm not dealing with a "world beater" here, just trying to see what it could do on the radial as I've never tried them before. They impress the hell out of me but needed some input from someone with more experience with them. Thanks!!

No problem....Yes a cold track can cause issues. If the sun is out and lots of slick tired cars are going down the track conditions can be good. But on a cold day and not a lot of traffic or lots of street radial cars running down the track, conditions can be off and cause problems. They just don't have the flexibilty of a slick whether it be track conditions or a track with some bumps at the transition. The tires are awesome and several guys in the class above us have tried them. 4 second 1/8 mile cars..all of them immediately went back to the slick as the whole suspension set-up changes.

I run my 275-60-15's on an 8" wheel at 18 psi cold and have had a best 60' of 1.42 on a poorly prepped track....my tires don't like the lower pressures.

132 60ft with 15 air :eek: :biggrin:

Avon, I'm assuming that's on the transbrake... correct?

how much boost at launch?

I tried launching off the brake at Cecil with 10 psi boost and 15psi air pressure in my 325/50's, and they just spun.

The 50 series tires will be less forgiving to hard launches due to the reduced sidewall size...that size sidewall decreases the tire's ability to wrinkle. I recently got a 1.42 short time on our marginal track with 18 psi in the tires and a 12-14 PSI launch.... I run a 275-60-15 which is 28" tall.

I ran BFG DR 255/16's. I ran 19 psi in them. I 60ft 1.60 on 103k mile suspension. 4 lb launch.

See my sig for that video.