DP and CAT removal (still connected...)

sd-slider

NOWUFFO
I need to remove my stock DP and CAT due to an overtightened clamp @ the factory where the CAT meets the DP.... :mad: I have another stock DP and hi-flo CAT I'd like to put in it's place.

Can the DP be removed with car on ramps, or do I need to have it on a lift? :confused:

I'd rather not cut or grind on the original if I don't have to....just wanted to check before I dis-assemble everything.

Thanks,
Eric

probably not on ramps, lift would be ideal. I'd use a sawzall or portaband then you can always weld her up later...

I've done it but it's not easy. You need to get it really high. Definitely not with ramps but possibly with a jack and a 4x4 between the jack and frame for a few more inches clearance. Good luck and be careful.

You'll have to jack it up so high that it's unsafe.

If you can get it on a loft...do that.
I got mine up as high as my jack stands and jack would safely support, then made a lengthwise cut along the cat inlet to loosen it up without hurting the down pipe....and then beat the crap out of it and pried at the thing until it seperated.

I need to remove my stock DP and CAT due to an overtightened clamp @ the factory where the CAT meets the DP.... :mad: I have another stock DP and hi-flo CAT I'd like to put in it's place.

Can the DP be removed with car on ramps, or do I need to have it on a lift? :confused:

I'd rather not cut or grind on the original if I don't have to....just wanted to check before I dis-assemble everything.

Thanks,
Eric
twist it,and lower it at the same time and out she'll come.and jackstands will do.just make sure that sucker is stable.......;)

twist it,and lower it at the same time and out she'll come.and jackstands will do.just make sure that sucker is stable.......;)

Yeah....that's what they told me too...;)
Once I got it up as high as it could safely go...with the cat still attached... I pulled the DP assy down though the bottom as far as it would go and twsited it under the car towards the drivers side as far as it could go...after several attempts, I whipped out the Rotozip with the cutting wheel attachment, made a lengthwise cut along the cat inlet without damaging the down pipe and knocked the cat off.

After that, the DP dropped right out.

Not sure if it would help...but maybe put the back wheels up on ramps and then lift the front as high as you safely can on jack stands and try it...

I just did the same job on my TTA...I swear to go GM put the GN drive train into this car with a crow bar.....a 20 year old car and 20 year old exhaust bolts fought me the whole way...Took me the better part of a day and a 1/2 but the oe DP and cat is off and the new DP with a test pipe is on........I only had to cut one bolt..and i did it with the front of the car lifted up on jack stands...Thank god for a 1/2 inch impact wrench.........:smile: