Downpipes?

87GNcospg

Send your Donations
i have heard that a select few TTA owners have upgraded downpipes. are there any pictures of these that i could see? a local guy in town makes very nice full exhaust work on a lot of turbo cars. he says that he can fabricate a Downpipe for my fathers TTA. Not sure on the TTA but he will be making a DP for my GN for $300. he does amazing work. anyways, i was wondering how many people have upgraded DP's on their TTA's and if they have pics that they would like to share.

Terry Houston DP here, but no pics. There are a lot of TTA's with upgraded DP's.

I wouldnt take any chances on having someone fab a DP....(clearance issues,time,guessing no cut out or flex pipe)?...You can get a used DP for less. As long as there are no dings in it, it would be like brand new anyway..... see what I mean?

THDP is as big as one can get, so if you want to go BIG! Get a Terry houston. Just my humble opinion.

Bo

Leave the stock downpipe until the car is in the 11's.

The THDP is made out of stainless, and retains the flex connector.. careful what you ask for.. you may get a nasty little suprise you would never dream of like rattles, vibrations, leaks, clearance, etc..

THDP is like 550.00 for the TTA. Again not needed for a 12 second TTA. This statement has been proven.

Unless he wants mid 11's or faster.. then plan on it.. when you get it into the 11's. Until then.. its a total waste of money.

HTH

Originally posted by Razor
Leave the stock downpipe until the car is in the 11's.

The THDP is made out of stainless, and retains the flex connector.. careful what you ask for.. you may get a nasty little suprise you would never dream of like rattles, vibrations, leaks, clearance, etc..

THDP is like 550.00 for the TTA. Again not needed for a 12 second TTA. This statement has been proven.

Unless he wants mid 11's or faster.. then plan on it.. when you get it into the 11's. Until then.. its a total waste of money.

HTH

Julio do you know of TTA owners having vibration/clearance issues with their THDP??

Mine did at first, actually the first 6 months. I figured what needed to be done, its been forgotten. My downpipe hasnt banged on anything in a very long time.

If you install them as-is.. your gonna have issues.

I've heard that from a couple of people with the THDP. I'll bet it's a little disheartening to have to beat a $550 DP with a hammer, but anything to avoid rattles is worthwhile.

Its more than clearancing it with a hammer around the control arm and such.. it more has to do with setting it up(aligning) and then doing mods to have it keep that alignment. And its not much to make small BFH adjustments.

thats the secret.

HTH

I hope my ATR doesn't have major issues...hope it doesn't hit the SFC's. I know I'm gonna have to chop like an inch or so but I hope that's all I have to do.

Agressive Performance has the ATR TTA downpipes on summer special for $358. That's a pretty good discount from the $550 Houston... but the Houston may include a cat?

The stock downpipe looks weak, get a fatter one :)

Mine clonks and rattles :)

Its been clearanced as well *cough cough*

When engine going back in Im using the HnR mounts, for sure on the one side, maybe both, not sure of how much vibration there is in them..

They do fit, just takes some massaging for a clean fit :)

later
Jeremy

question about DPs

From what I've read here the THDP has to be banged into alignment? What about the ATR? Which is bigger? Do they both use the stock turbo shield?

Rudy

i just put a thdp on my car two weeks ago. worst part of the job was getting the pipe between motor and frame. after that it was pretty easy, went from 2-3 knock counts on shifts to 4-6. still trying to see where it hits but can't see anything on the pipe. i did not have to modify turbo shield at all....it bolted right up. my only big problem is an exhaust leak at elbow to downpipe connection(tried everything and can't get it to seal). i called agressive performance and was told that the atr system was sold as an external waste gate only system....after adding in the cost of a waste gate the thdp was cheaper!
p.s. i'm using stock style motor mounts(new)

I have an ATR that fits like a glove ! Of course that was after taking it off 4-5 times an beatin the hell outta it . Silent now until someone rides with me ... Then can "feel" it on the floor . How fast is this car goin to be ? Julio hit the nail on the head !

RD

Guys the problem with teh THDP is that you install it.. then it moves out of position becuase of the clamps used. When it moves..it then bangs..

You have to "PIN" the connections on the pipe by installing screws through the two pipes then placing the clamp over the screw. On mine I added an addition support from the crossmember to the flange where the cat back is. This helped to keep it in place.'

My pipe hasnt hit anything in almost two years now.. zero zero isuues.

You can smash it all you want with a hammer, but if it moves from where you tightened it.. its goona hit.

Period.

PS.. that ATR without the flex is brutal.

It would work on the bottom.. not on the top. See when you have to pull the turbo for instance.. I unbolt the band clamp, take screw out.. slide it all out. Or if you had to remove the downpipe for whatever reason.. the head piece needs to be removable. Welding it even with a tack means you need to cut the weld to disassemble.

So meerly drilling a 1/16 hole through both of them installing a pan head SS screw.. holds them in place perfect. Only issue I have is removing the screw sometimes its gets some build up on its threads from exhuast.. but always has come out.

You own one of these pipes and only use the band clamps.. you'll hate it.