Downpipe

1984grandnat

Who has had experience with fitting a 3" downpipe in our cars? No one on Earth seems to manufacture these things anymore, so what are we to do? I have an aftermarket turbo with an exhaust outlet of about 2 5/8" in diameter. Logic (and trial and error) tells me that the stock (barely 2") downpipe will not be sufficient, and that a 2 1/2" aftermarket would be borderline (I cannot accept borderline). Is my only option to go to the parts store and try to piece together a makeshift pipe with spare 3" parts? There must be a better way.

(...hmmmm, if we could only talk someone into fabricating a few of these things....;) )

I have the 3" downpipe on my 84.

The pipe orginally came from Trey Crease of "Zero To Sixty Performance"

Trey made 12 of these pipes, and as far as I know the owner of my car before me bought the very last one. Upon buying my car I got the downpipe that was not installed yet. I finally installed it when I pulled off all the of exhaust, and with Poston Headers, Poston Crossover, Ported elbow, and the 3" downpipe I saw HUGE power gains!

1/4 Mile Time and MPH before the mods was:
14.8 @ 92MPH

The time that I got after was:
14.2 @ 97MPH (Car was spinning, and started to knock up on me near the traps, because I did not run racegas)

3" downpipe, and exhaust mods work really well on the Hot-Air in comparison to the 86/87's.

Hope this provides you with a little information.

i know chris wilson went 117 mph in the 1/4 with the atr 2 1/2" dp.

honestly,i don't think you'll have much luck trying to build your own 3" dp.

later,sean

I have the Lee Thompson 3" DP that eliminates the elbow. Never got to run it at the track or even WOT for that matter but there was a definate seat of the pants difference and it spooled faster too. Someone really needs to make a 3" pipe for these cars again. Mine fits even with the KB dual stage headers. I did have to cut it and weld in a piece but there's still plenty of room.