downpipe help

blackgn

just got a 2.5" ATR downpipe and need some help installing it. so far the up-pipe is off and the old downpipe is out, now how do i get the new downpipe in? i tried from the top it either hits the firewall or the ac/heater box, if i have to ill remove the box. havent tried from the bottom but looks even harder to go from the bottom up or is this the way to go?

when I removed one from a totalled car for my bro, we had to bend, twist and snake it out!!! it was hell!!! So, what we ended up doing to get it in, was basically take the pipe from the top... it take a little practice, and dont worry about scratching the pipe!!! it is hard to dent, but dont force anything too hard!!! basically, what we did to get it in was go down on a very gradual angle, almost from the up-pipe connection on the header....being that poston headers were on the car at the time, it was a little harder I think, but we almost twisted the pipe all the way around and it went right down and in place after a few minutes of guess work and pushing....it also helps to have someone under the car, looking and feeding you directions from that point of reference...it was a big help for us to know what clearances we had going down....just getting past that heater box was the toughie, after that, just get it hooked up!!!

John

I've tried a coupe of times and I can't even get the stock DP off. :mad:

i had the same problem with gettin the stock downpipe off i ended up cutting it in half to get it out since there was a hole in it anyway. also underneath i noticed it gets hung up on a heat sheild under the passenger floor pan also i have a th350 with a deep pan which also hits the pipe i got it past all that now it hits the header i guess im just gonna have to take out the heater box to get it in and hopefully the box will fit back with the pipe in

It will take some work, but take out your engine mount bolts so you can maneuver your engine over to the driver side a few inches.

This should give you the clearance to get it in there, and you must go in from the top down and snake it around a bit, but it will go.

This is what I did and it worked, so I hope this helps.

Matt

ATR Pipe

If you already have the up pipe off another way is take off the header, slide the new pipe in the general area then re-install the header then the down pipe

I just installed a 3" ATR downpipe on my car a couple months back, PITA at first, hitting my cat down below, I took the cat off jacked up the car a little bit, took the downpipe from the top, twisted it at different angles, almost like a complete turn and it just dropped right in place, then of course I was hit with a little exhaust modification by the cat. HTH :)

i took off the pass header off and cut off extra length for my converter
sliped in ok that way,also i had the ac compressor out of the way
and had car jacked up in air for some room underneath
andy

finally got mine in i removed the heater box and alternator went right in, i had already taken out the ac compressor