Down pipe info

zslave

I recently decided to add a cutout to my 87 gn exhaust. now i am thinking of a downpipe upgrade as well. any ideas? stock turbo and downpipe, test pipe, and new flowmaster axel back. Thinking the kirban 3 inch? Thanks Chris

Wrong. If your gonna do a pipe...get an RJC.
Loosing the cast elbow is where all the perf gain is.

new flowmaster axel back

Becareful with this^^ alot of people have noticed their cars loading up with flowmaster because of how they are designed. Alot of people have never had a problem but enough have complained to at least make a note of it...

Junk the Flowmaster idea. Get the Pypes system from Summit or one from a vendor. Our cars do not repeat the normal Flowmaster sound, and that is the only reason for using them. They don't out perform any other system by that much.
I have a single 4 inch with a Borla muffler.

I already have the Flowmaster system, it is sort of the reason I want to add the dump pipe, it is way too quiet. I am not trying to make it an 11 second car. justo cruise in. It is fairly original appearing, hence the thought of the Kirban 3 inch, I can keep my cover on the turbo the way it is. So, I was thinking, 3 inch Kirban downpipe, and a 3 inch dump with QTP electric cutout. I guess I need to find the approiate dump pipe to fit 3 inch dowpipe and the flange for the rest of the system. I am trying to avoid much fabrication on this project, I just don't have the ambition for that right now. I really thought about just doing the cutout and leaving the stock downpipe,But it won't sound nearly as good, or perform as well. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Ok. Contact turbojoe1 and see if he still has the downpipe he had. It was nice.
He has pics. It was made local to him and they did a real nice job. Best I have seen on a 3 inch with stock elbow.

I have a Bowling Green Customs 3" DP with their high flow cast elbow that will fit under the stock cover. It comes with a dump pipe.

I already have the Flowmaster system, it is sort of the reason I want to add the dump pipe, it is way too quiet. I am not trying to make it an 11 second car. justo cruise in. It is fairly original appearing, hence the thought of the Kirban 3 inch, I can keep my cover on the turbo the way it is. So, I was thinking, 3 inch Kirban downpipe, and a 3 inch dump with QTP electric cutout. I guess I need to find the approiate dump pipe to fit 3 inch dowpipe and the flange for the rest of the system. I am trying to avoid much fabrication on this project, I just don't have the ambition for that right now. I really thought about just doing the cutout and leaving the stock downpipe,But it won't sound nearly as good, or perform as well. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Like others have already said, junk the Blowmaster. I'll give you first hand experience with a 3 inch single shot with a Blowmaster. Went to the track and ran with the cutout closed and was seeing 17 psi of boost in 3rd gear. Opened up the cutout and without ever touching the wastegate my boost jumped to 27 psi in 1st and 2nd gears and 30 in 3rd gear......thankfully I had C16 in the tank already or else poof would have went my head gaskets. Went from running 12.3s at 113 closed up to 11.26 at 126 opened up. That's 13 psi of BACK PRESSURE due to the 3" Blowmaster.

Back pressure can lift the heads and cause your head gaskets to blow....not to mention causing slow spooling and slow ETs.

I have a Bowling Green Customs 3" DP with their high flow cast elbow that will fit under the stock cover. It comes with a dump pipe.

I have one of these that is going on my car replacing a THDP for the same reason of fitting under the stock cover. It's a pretty nice piece, the THDP style is nicer but sticks out like a sore thumb.

forcefed3.8's said:
Yep, it was on a friend's Limited we were trying to make look stock. Now he is over the stock look.

I'd be over the stock look but CA smog is a bitch.

coach said:
Ok. Contact turbojoe1 and see if he still has the downpipe he had. It was nice.
He has pics. It was made local to him and they did a real nice job. Best I have seen on a 3 inch with stock elbow.

Sorry already sold it.

Thanks Joe

Here is the BGC downpipe. I comes with a dump for a TH dp, that we added a collar to to make it work.

Attachments

• pt4276 021.jpg
    pt4276 021.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 256
  • pt4276 022.jpg
    pt4276 022.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 231