door pins

lowride87regal

what is the best way to change the drivers side door pin {top one} i got the pin and bushing i to do the job just need to know the best way . i may or may not have help. thanks 4 ur help

I did the drivers side upper hinge on mine a few weeks ago. A helper would make it easier. I removed the hinge frome the car, supported door with floor jack with carpet on it as not to scratch door. Also might want to put masking tape on the edge of the fender and door so you don't chip the paint like I did. I had to losen the lower hinge to get the upper out. Clamp in a vice to remove the spring, use a spring compressor if you have access or a couple screw drivers. Put a piece of mechanics wire throough the spring wear a face shield and gloves for protection. The gloves come in handy for holding the spring back with one hand while prying on the spring with the other. Cut the tapered end off the pin and slide out. Watch how the hinge goes together. Depending how worn it is, you may have to drill the holes to fit the bushings, You want them to be kind of a press fit. I ended up drilling all 4 hinge holes because they were all worn and used all 4 bushings. Put the pin in, I put a spot weld on the tapered part of the pin that sticks above the hing so it can't slide out, remember it goes in from the bottom. Also make sure you have the spring mount(the part that slides across the the roller and keeps the door from opening to far) in the correct positon. Put the spring back in, this is the fun part unless you have a spring compressor. You will have to readjust the door and the door striker. I still have to do my passenger door. Good luck.

Eric

replacing pins

I did the drivers side upper hinge on mine a few weeks ago. A helper would make it easier. I removed the hinge frome the car, supported door with floor jack with carpet on it as not to scratch door. Also might want to put masking tape on the edge of the fender and door so you don't chip the paint like I did. I had to losen the lower hinge to get the upper out. Clamp in a vice to remove the spring, use a spring compressor if you have access or a couple screw drivers. Put a piece of mechanics wire throough the spring wear a face shield and gloves for protection. The gloves come in handy for holding the spring back with one hand while prying on the spring with the other. Cut the tapered end off the pin and slide out. Watch how the hinge goes together. Depending how worn it is, you may have to drill the holes to fit the bushings, You want them to be kind of a press fit. I ended up drilling all 4 hinge holes because they were all worn and used all 4 bushings. Put the pin in, I put a spot weld on the tapered part of the pin that sticks above the hing so it can't slide out, remember it goes in from the bottom. Also make sure you have the spring mount(the part that slides across the the roller and keeps the door from opening to far) in the correct positon. Put the spring back in, this is the fun part unless you have a spring compressor. You will have to readjust the door and the door striker. I still have to do my passenger door. Good luck.

Eric

MARK your upper hinge well. i replaced and on the tugbo regal web site the instructions said that you would be able to tell when you remove it. well that was not the case and i'm not a body man and my door is still not lined up correctlly, d*mmnt. it's about 1/4 in of on the striker side. which im sure that translates to about 1mm on the hinge side. i've take the door apart 3 times and i cant get it right............... so now i have to tap the window down switch when i get in because it hitts the top guide......... i hate these cars:tongue:

matswtt, I spent an hour or more adjusting mine. Is your door to high on the striker side? Is the fender to door gap tighter at the top? If thats the case losen the bolts that hold the upper hinge to the cowl. Just break them lose enough so the hinge will move. Pull down on the striker side of the door. Make small adjustments until its were you want it. Just snugg the bolts after making an adjustment so it wont move. After its where you want it tighten the bolts down. I got mine so I can lightly swing the door and it latches all the way closed, the door doesn't raise or lower when it hits the striker and the window seals all the way across. Also I would recomend taping the door, fender, rocker panel and quarter panel edges so you don't scratch or chip them like I did.

Eric