Dome light w/reading lamps keeps blowing fuses

Dan Roberts

Anyone have a wiring schematic for the dome light with reading lamp option. As soon as I put in a bulb, the fuse instantly blows. Would like to know where the wires go after the A-pillar. Also is there a schematic of the dome light itself? There is a white part or wire right underneath the main dome light bulb that looks burnt. Should this be one wire or not connected to each other. Sorry for the weird description. Thanks in advance!!

int.JPG

Check the wiring above the dome lamp. I've seen the wiring melt from the heat of the bulb.

What robertf posted. If inserting the bulb causes the fuse to pop, there is a short in the wiring or maybe even a bulb clip of the socket is shorting to the metal dome light frame.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Quick and easy test....

pop the trim off around the radio and unplug the (most likely) rusty cigarette lighter.

On GM cars of this era orange is the constant hot. On little rust flake inside the lighter can pop that fuse left and right.

Looks like it was the cigarette lighter. I unplugged it and haven't had a problem yet. Weird, because the cigarette lighter worked without popping the fuse. Will keep an eye on it though. Thanks for all the help.