Dome light in Hard Top

THE WRAITH

I have a hard top GN and the Dome light is not very bright. I was wondering if some one has created a replacement kit with a new brighter light for our cars. Comments and Links if there is a kit would be great.

op the lens off and clean it with soem warm water and dish soap.. wipe the bulb off while you are in there.
if that doesn't make it brighter, then try a enw cover- they are only a few bucks anywhere that sells the Dorman "Help!" line of parts.

I was thinking more of a new brighter bulb/ wiring kit..... something that puts out more light than the 20yr old bulb set up.

I was thinking more of a new brighter bulb/ wiring kit..... something that puts out more light than the 20yr old bulb set up.

If I was going to spend time in that realm, I would start in Washington D.C. FIRST........:D

Maybe a HID dome light? That would scare me though......Might singe the hair on my head. I don't need a bald spot. My hair is the only thing that doesn't hurt on me. Gotta save that.:)

If I was going to spend time in that realm, I would start in Washington D.C. FIRST........:D NO DOUBT!!!!!!!! On the D.C. comment... but um.... i dont want them num n-ts riding in my car.....

Maybe a HID dome light? That would scare me though......Might singe the hair on my head. I don't need a bald spot. My hair is the only thing that doesn't hurt on me. Gotta save that.:)

Not like you are going to ride with it on.... just something at the track when you are ummmmmm..... paying close attention to tuning features of the car.

i've never had any problem seeing anything in the car with the dome light on. in fact, my T Type has about the brightest dome light i've ever had.
if it's too dark for you now, i think you can get brighter bulbs- but you risk melting the cover.
if nothing else, you could get a rear view mirror off a later model car that has reading lights in it.

Have you tried LED bulbs ? I think they do make them.Is this for a long bulb with c type metal end. I have a site you might want to try, it has cross reference chart from standard bulbs to LED. I think i can't post any advertisment. PM me!

kirbans 2 cents worth

I am sure if you put the question to Richard Clark he could figure out how to make it brighter. I was always baffled personally by how dim the dash cluster lites are in these cars. Cars today have made tremendous strides in that regard and even eliminated the noisy speedo cable!

I would think a brighter bulb would heat up and melt the lense cover.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I have a hard top GN and the Dome light is not very bright. I was wondering if some one has created a replacement kit with a new brighter light for our cars. Comments and Links if there is a kit would be great.

look at a GNX or limited regal where the map reading light option was more common--------had the normal dome light with a pair if mini spotlights with L/R switches on each side-------they are a drop in part------i've found lots of them in junkyards cause they were used in lots of GM cars------you want bright you will love it.............RC

Dome Lamp

Agree With Richard, Nice Improvement. If You Are Careful, You Can Remove The Entire Harness That Plugs In At Lt Kick Panel Area. I Installed A Factory Astro Roof On My Gn, The Harness On An Astro Roof Car Is Longer Than A Hard Top, After Putting Most Of The Interior Togather,(pillar Pods,etc) I Had To Take It All Apart And Install The Longer Harness(i Did Not Want To Splice Wires When I Had The Entire Correct Harness)

Didn't the GNX come with a dome light that had 2 map lights on it? Same as the ones in a f150 and the broncos?

kirban 2 cents worth

The GNX's had all the goodies including the map reading lite option you refer to. Actually it may be the same map reading lite arrangement that dates back to the 1970s in GM cars. I am going by memory but I think the GTOs had one either exactly like it or close to it.

You could be right about Ford having it also. Since we have producede Mustag and Corvette parts I can tell you from first hand experience for example the C5 Corvettes radiator cap is dead on the same as every 2003-2004 Mustang Cobra radiator cap.

All the manufacturers use various suppliers and suppliers are not loyal to one particular car manufacturer as they are in business to make money. Can't blame them.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Owned a few over the years. Some even had the optional map reading lites.

I think this would be good light and look nice? The second picture is what the GNx lights look like or close to it.

I agree, I myself would never put a part like that on my car, it was just a picture to show what they look like. Any pictures of what your light kit looks like would help.

not to hijack and pardon my ignorance but that dome light came in a gnx??? thats the dome light in my car? Was it a factory option then?

kirban 2 cents worth

yes all the GNXs had the optional dome lite called the map reading lites.
The trunk ID code to verify what you are telling us is C95. It was not available if you had a T-Top option but could be had if you had the astroroof option. Car I just sold had both.

GMs terminalogy is :Front Seat Reading Lamps a rather cheap option back then of just $24.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Not a lot of education but know enough about these cars to score pretty high/