Dog owners, what food?

I think Rusty got his on a trip to Wisconsin But we did bird hunt in TX abot 5 months before he died.

The good news is that there is a special heartworm test called a Snap test that is quite effective at detecting lymes. After rusty our Vet switched. And what we learned at Miss State Vet school advanced the treatment of Canine Kidney failure quite a bit.

Alan, I'm gonna try and remember to ask about this on her first visit. We went today to make the appt. and I forgot...

Reading it now, thanks Charlie!

Sorry about losing your sheltie, i am sure that was difficult.

Yessir, this was a much harder loss than our previous dog (who was 14+) at her death. I guess because I'm now retired and got to spend more time with her over the past two years. She was my "wakin' up" buddy as we got up together at 05:30 and the wife didn't get up until after 08:00. Mornings were very lonely for awhile...

Alan, I'm gonna try and remember to ask about this on her first visit. We went today to make the appt. and I forgot...

Yessir, this was a much harder loss than our previous dog (who was 14+) at her death. I guess because I'm now retired and got to spend more time with her over the past two years. She was my "wakin' up" buddy as we got up together at 05:30 and the wife didn't get up until after 08:00. Mornings were very lonely for awhile...

Heres the link to the condition Rusty had.

http://suite101.com/article/canine-lyme-disease-nephritis-a100756

I know how that is. Rusty was hard. But his breeder had a dog from the same pairing from a litter a year later, his name was Rusty also. And I got a puppy from him. Essentially Minga's Bullet Slightly Oxidized (Ox or "A little Rusty") is the nephew of the the dog we lost.

Reading it now, thanks Charlie!
More than happy to help Russ. Baby girl got sick a few months ago and I was a mess for a couple of days. I thought it may be parvo but it was just something she ate thank God. Made her sick as hell and weak enough for me to carry her to go out and hand feed her for 2 days. She slept for 2 days and didn't move a whole lot but when it passed she was fiesty as ever.:D

Beautiful pup!
I broke down and got ban insurance plan for my German Shepherd at PetsMart/Banfield
Orion is on Nutro Lamb & rice
anything else screws w/ his stomach
I am looking at Blue Buffalo...
Just keep the pup on the same food or transition gradually
As an aside: I don't know how gospel this is but my vet told me that most meds that people use dogs can use
if the puppy gets the occasional tummy-ache you can give a little Pepto or Mylanta
I even used diaper rash cream on Orion & cleared up a condition the vet couldn't!

Maybe we should set up a pet forum!?!?:confused:

Do_O

Make your own food . Its a ton of work but its alot better for them than any dog food in the store. I used quality c/plus but it got expensive and are rott started getting a little heavy so the vet gave us a diet to follow which did not include dog food. We used rice with beef or chicken with peas and carrots. The rice is not the minute rice crap either. He loved the food and he lost some weight so we left him on it.
x2
Rice w/beef or chicken broth mixed in with meat and vegs.
He won't touch the store bought wet or dry.

Pretty pup !!!! Thats about all I can add. I asked the same thing 2 years ago when we got a new German Shepherd... We ended up with Sience Diet and the Buffalo stuff every now an then.. Our last dog was 13 an ate the same thing so we decided to stick with what we knew. Oh.. Dog gets table scraps.. He prob eats better than I do :p Good Luck with your new best buddy. :cool:

Beautiful pup!
I broke down and got ban insurance plan for my German Shepherd at PetsMart/Banfield

Maybe we should set up a pet forum!?!?:confused:

Do_O

My daughter and a few friends have had plans... NONE if them stayed with it. Ya they were all puppies when they bought it.

Pet Forum ??? I think it would take up to much bandwidth :D

My wife makes the food as well. Our dog shows some signs of food allergy to almost every premade brand. Chicken, veggies, livers, and a bone supplement for density. Dog loves it. Takes time but sends to be really worth it.

I have a 2 year old Staffordshire Bull Terrier and she has been eating Taste Of The Wild from day 1. Zero issues and she is musclar, lean, and very energetic.

IAMS.....

But in reading this I'm wondering if my big girl isn't suffering from a food allergy.....

She developed a rash just recently, the vet said it's pollen but spring has long been over in Phoenix so, I'm wondering..........

Our dog will scratch a lot, have rashes, and about every six months she would show parvo like symptoms that would only clear with a couple meals of chicken and rice. After switching to a home made diet she had had binge of these issues.

Only problem with a home made diet is to make sure you are meeting the needs of the dog. A lot of people fail to add anything that targets bone density.

I have had dogs most of my life. I just put down our Llewellin Setter because she just couldn't make it up and down our stairs with out help. Now listen to this..........She was over 22 TEWENTY TWO years old. She ate "Atta-Boy" el-cheapo dog food for about ten of those years. My dogs LOVED that stuff, (think they lace it with doggy crack). I had a Springer that had the itches and eye problems at 13 years (her buddy) and I started feeding them Purina One. His eyes cleared up with in a couple of weeks and he has some life back in him. The Setter seemed better, too, but she was in great shape anyway. I now have a Border collie and a Gordon Setter that like the Purina One. (They REALLY love the "Pupperonie" scoobie snacks the most, though) Our daughter has a Springer that also stays with us most days and he eats the same food, too. I think that as long as you buy decent food, genetics plays the biggest role in how long they live. My Llewellin setter never went to the vet (except to be spade) and she lived longer than ANY dog I have ever heard of. She probably would have lived another year If I was willing to carry her outside. We called her our Energizer Bunny.......she just kept on going and going. Just put her down on Memorial weekend. Best hunting dog I have ever had, too. Also was a great earth quake warning tool, too. She would go NUTS just before an earth quake. Funny story......we were watching Americas Funniest Videos years ago and there was a video of a dog looking into a flip top garbage can and then jumped into it. My setter was watching the dog on TV and when it jumped into the garbage can she went running (on her hind legs only) over to the TV and looked for the missing dog and was wimpering. Kinda like "WHERE DID HE GO???????? Wish I would have got THAT on video. Woulda been a $100,000 winner for sure. She loved to watch animals on TV. She lived a full life and it wasn't too hard to put her down. My Springer had a stroke when he was 14 or so and that was real tough to put him down. My hearts out to all of you who have had to do that.

I have a mutt that is 18, she is blind and deaf (I call it selective hearing).

She gets cheap dog food but I would like to start on something better for her.

My boy is 12+ and 125lbs, need something better for him too.

i feed my 5 month old american bulldog blue buffalo for breakfast and lunch and 2 raw chicken quarters for dinner. he is very healthy and active and puts on a steady 4lbs a week.

yes raw with bone. bones are fine as long as they are not cooked. cooked bones will splinter

wilderness , blue. healthy holistic 100% grain free, our mastiff alway's had skin allergies until we put him on this.
only thing is , it's pricey.

I found two websites, one said to give them raw chicken with bone and the other said to never give them chicken bones, people that have do so have stopped because of problems they had with the bones. I guess it depends on your dog..