Does the 86 GN have a factory clear coat??

JonnyBoost

Turbo Junkie
If so what could I use to remove a “cloudy white” spot from the rear deck lid, the spot appears to be ingrained with the paint, (about 9inches in diameter). I tired a cleaner wax, but no luck :confused:

thanks aperrego, does that hand glaze act as a polish? is there any other 3M products you guys recomend for removing swirls and imperfections

is the spot rough? and if you rub your nail over it does the white flake off and there is flat black remaining there? if it does that means the clear is rotting off the deck lid. Then the only fix is to repaint the deck lid.

Originally posted by JonnyBoost
If so what could I use to remove a “cloudy white” spot from the rear deck lid, the spot appears to be ingrained with the paint, (about 9inches in diameter). I tired a cleaner wax, but no luck :confused:

Original paint doesn't have a clearcoat. It's lacquer. You'll probably have to strip and refinish the deck lid.

As far as a swirl mark remover, you can't do any better than 3M Imperial hand glaze. Doesn't hold up that well if the car is a daily driver as in swirls will be back with a couple washes or less.

thanks for the info guys,

whats the difference between laquer and clearcoat?

87blackbuick, the paint over the white part is still just as smooth as the rest of the car.

The paint on my 86 hood is toast but still looks pretty good on the fenders/doors etc. (no cracking, spider webbing etc). If I am going to get a base coat clearcoat paint job (acrylic urethane), do I have to strip the good paint too?

Originally posted by JonnyBoost
thanks aperrego, does that hand glaze act as a polish? is there any other 3M products you guys recomend for removing swirls and imperfections

Not really a polish.. I don't know if it is considered a "cleanser" either. But it definetly gets the job done.. Best results are with an orbital buffer. Takes the haze right out.. I would then follow up with a couple coats of McGuires/Mothers to give the protection and shine.. BTW: Careful with the buffer on the curves...will remove the paint... :eek:

jonnyboost, laquer is a single stage paint, that does not require a clear coat. but there is a clear coat for laquer. bc/cc must be clear coated, it is alot more durable than a single stage paint, it will not fad, because it had a uv light inhibiter in it. It also is alot more chemicle resistant. you might be able to buff the hazyness out like everyone else is saying. If the hand polish dont work try a finsh cut/leveling compound on a buffer, it is alot more agressive. if that dont work you could try a turbo cut/buffing compound which is alot more aggresive. if that dont work then repaint is the next step.

Lhorn, you probably dont have to stip the good paint, but a paint jnob is only as good as the prep work. i would strip the whole car so you have a good substraight to start with, the new primers, sealers, and base/clear products are alot better than what what was used 17 years ago.