Does anyone regret installing the poly motor mounts ?

turbotaone

I installed the poly mounts last year to free up some space around my 3" downpipe and to level the engine. They did exactly that and I was happy with them at the time. But now the vibration that they cause through out the car is starting to bother me. I was wondering if anyone else feels this way?

Thanks
James

This discussion comes up on a fairly regular basis. Some guys seem to feel that there is too much vibration caused by polymounts; other, like myself, feel little to no vibration. You can always run the poly on the driver's side to hold the engine and put an autozone stock-style on the passenger side. I have a poly on the driver's side only, because I was having a serious problem trying to track down false detonation. It turned out not to be the mounts. I guess some guys are just more sensitive to vibrations that others.

I have a pretty terrible vibration and the false knock too. My biggest complaint is that the engine sits noticably higher. IC pipes don't line up, vacuum block digs into the hood insulator and the trans is a bitch to take in and out. I might go back to stock on the passenger side. I actually bought the mount but I gave it to my brother. I'll have to get another one one of these days.

Jim

EDIT: I didn't realize I was in the Trans Am forum when I posted. Sorry. YMMV.

maybe its the older old farts that are more sensitive :rolleyes: :eek: I have one in my daughters GN right now .. its coming out when we go with a new motor .. I use stock junk with NO strap .. we only run mid 11s with drag radials though :p

drove Melissa's GN today with just the driver's side poly mount .. went for a 75 mile trip :p sorry I hate that thing!!! when we put her new motor in STOCK MM are goin back in .. Ill change them every year if I had to .. :eek: :rolleyes:

I had the Poly trans mount took it out in less than 24 hours!
Horrible :eek:
It felt like I was going to have to retourqe every bolt on the car if that kept up.

lol, well this isn't making me feel good about my H&R mounts I put on my hybrid. Now I am afraid to start it up and hate it. hah

91Bird305 said:
lol, well this isn't making me feel good about my H&R mounts I put on my hybrid. Now I am afraid to start it up and hate it. hah

Eric ... wait till you drive it !!! they maybe fine to you !! the guy I got Melissa's car from thought it was great ... remember "opinion's" can vary !!! it is a very nice piece :biggrin:

Grumpy said:
Eric ... wait till you drive it !!! they maybe fine to you !! the guy I got Melissa's car from thought it was great ... remember "opinion's" can vary !!! it is a very nice piece :biggrin:

The problem with a thread like this is the power of suggestion will influence his experience. I drove with a poly on each side for months and never noticed any vibration. Of course I'm old and don't feel much of anything anymore, which can be a good thing and a bad thing. :)

hah, well the whole car is going to feel different to me anyways. The whole thing has been redone and I haven't driven it in a year. I will let you know if I like it or not. :)

I have no problem with them in my T-Type. You may notice a slight difference at first but after driving the car for a while you get used to it and I don't notice them at all now.

I am not sure if comparing the motor mounts in a TTA to a Regal is fair. The Regal has a frame and the TTA is unibody. One of my friends had the poly mounts in his TTA and he took them out. I guess it depends on what you can put up with.

I've found them to be not bad at all.

Stock engines are more vibration prone than us folks who have like a gazillion dollars of mallory in their crank yeah eagle lol.

Curious, who has had their motors built and balanced and what are their views on the poly mounts?

The only vibration I hate in mine is at like 900rpm and only there.

Dont notice on accel or decel unless its held right there, the damn lock rods in the drivers door vibrate lol

I found that torquing them exactly as HnR states helps tremendously too.

Thought about leaving the pass side in for DP clearance and running a new stocker on the driver with a tie down, just to be different. Its doesnt bother me, so I'm not in a huge rush to swap it for giggles.

later
Jeremy

I didn't notice a bit of difference when I put on polys on both sides of the GN. I later put poly mounts on my '95 TA and noticed very little difference, there was some but nothing major...its a sports car not a caddy. I later added a poly trans mount to the '95, and you get a little drive train noise coming thru the floor board..but again nothing unbearable.

just got to thinkin ... just do a poly tranny mount .. if you can live with that then the eng one's should be good for ya .. My tranny mount lasted an hour .. POS as far as I was concerned :rolleyes: :biggrin:

3.8TransAM said:
Dont notice on accel or decel unless its held right there, the damn lock rods in the drivers door vibrate lol

Im glad to hear my car isnt the only one that did that. But If I keep the door locked its quiet.

Grumpy said:
just got to thinkin ... just do a poly tranny mount .. if you can live with that then the eng one's should be good for ya .. My tranny mount lasted an hour .. POS as far as I was concerned :rolleyes: :biggrin:
Well I have ridden with a poly trans mount forever and never noticed anything so I should be fine.....I hope :crosses fingers:

turbotaone said:
I installed the poly mounts last year to free up some space around my 3" downpipe and to level the engine. They did exactly that and I was happy with them at the time. But now the vibration that they cause through out the car is starting to bother me. I was wondering if anyone else feels this way?

Thanks
James

Nope! I like the polies. The only time I've noticed vibration is when the TC locks up. These cars vibrated from the get go and they ain't uh luxury car.