Do you think I will go to jail

WARBIRD1989

Good morning

I was wondering about some thoughts and what your opinions may be. I presently am in possession of two tta's, one festival car number No 77, and No. 170.

I paid nearly $10,000 for each car, neither car made the drive home. The first car the transmission was gone within 500 miles. The second car lost its motor because the jerk who I purchased it from did not tighten down the balancer. $7000 later my motor is still in the machine shop. I have come to one conclusion people who do not understand these cars should not have them. One simple mistake can destroy everything.

Now let me get on to what I'm going to ask.

As we all know these cars are very special there are very unique electrical and mechanical systems that only these cars have, for the most part we understand them. This does not mean that I would not like to have the service manual for this car, I have contacted all the usual sources and their no longer being produced. In the last year I found some for sale on eBay. The price was well over $100. This is fine with me. The book I purchased is in mint condition. I do you plan on using it in my shop. so what I'm going to do is when I go to work I'm going to make an identical copy of this book, so my original one will always be just that, never a chance of ending up in the waste oil pan, ( as did my grandfather 's 1964 motors manual).

I know the book is copyrighted, but I wish who ever had the copyright would make some more of them. I am going to make a copy for myself which is going to take a couple of days, but once the first one is made I can print off additional copies in less than 10 minutes.

Now I ask the moral issue, would it be wrong to sell or give these copies away? Obviously it would be illegal, but what about the moral issue, people who have these books know that they all are worth something because their rare, so these people may be upset because the price will go down. My opinion is we are a small group of people who have these cars, there are two types, there are people like us who drive and race them, and there are people who keep them in a garage until the day they die. If there is another group please let me know.

I have had a few people ask me if they could have a copy, I have no problem with giving copies to my friends, but if I am going to do all this work I would like to offer this knowledge to others, I would not wish to make profit from it, just the cost of paper and shipping. I believe this book contains knowledge that everyone that has at anniversary edition should be capable of getting, without waiting for the ones or two books that show up on eBay. Or waiting for who ever has the copyright to get a production for at least 50.

Now you know what I'm asking, so what are your opinions.

Should I just make a copy for myself?

Should I run off more copies and offer them at cost, and risk being arrested? (I think very unlikely because of the limited production of this vehicle and limited demand for the service manual)

To be honest I'm going to make three copies for myself, if someone wish to borrow a copy, what they do with it after that is their business, just as long as I get my copy back. Hint hint....

I do not believe that knowledge is something that only a few should have, everyone who has one of these cars should also have the ability to fix it using a good source of information.

All opinions are welcome.

Steve:confused:

no

No thats parts too, with race porting o-ring heads ss valves all steel main caps, rollor cam,Certified balancer from John's performance, high-performance motor mounts, 50 pound injectors, 70 mm body, high-performance oil pump, custom pistons with lightweight pins, balance blueprint, nine inch stall, head studs, main studs, APR rod bolts, H-Beam rods, steel crankshaft, and so on and so on. I may be well past 7k including accessories. I have spent more than $5000 on just the transmission, and converter. And if anyone thinks you cannot spend $5000 on the transmission my refrigerator says different. Believe me it is possible.. The transmission shop has a 8 second car with the same Trans. I estimate it will take just over 15 thousand dollars for the motor transmission suspension on this car. I only paid 9500 for the car.lol I'm excepting donations of any kind, money food parts

In this instance I would make copies for people free of charge. But I wouldn't have posted it on a public forum.

Chris S

I know how hard it was for me to come across this book, I was just trying to make it easier for others, I figure here was the best place to ask for opinions.

I can't offer any advice in the legal sense, however, in the moral sense, I don't see the problem.

#1, It's not like you're talking about pirating a best-seller and selling 50,000 copies.
#2, They're not being printed any longer, so it's not like you'd be stealing business away from anyone.
#3, You're talking about selling them for no profit.

Having said all that...please put me in line for one. :D

Originally posted by WARBIRD1989

I know the book is copyrighted, but I wish who ever had the copyright would make some more of them.

Now I ask the moral issue, would it be wrong to sell or give these copies away?

A copyright is a copyright. Hand out a copy, and it's either piracy, theift, or a copyright violation, IMO.

But, nowadays, it seems that folks don't mind slandering others, since they can get away with it, and stealing copies of songs, is OK amongst some groups.

Just a matter of which group you want to be in.
Honesty is getting to be an old fashioned idea....

Re: Re: Do you think I will go to jail

Originally posted by bruce
A copyright is a copyright. Hand out a copy, and it's either piracy, theift, or a copyright violation, IMO.

But, nowadays, it seems that folks don't mind slandering others, since they can get away with it, and stealing copies of songs, is OK amongst some groups.

Just a matter of which group you want to be in.
Honesty is getting to be an old fashioned idea....
I think alot of people lost alot of respect for copyright holders when they realized Bill Gates was selling for over $100 something that was deemed "ready for the piblic" when it had "only"1,000,000 errors, and then would sell them another 1,000,000 errors in another 2 years.

I do have to agree with ALXTTA 1 though, the only people you would be taking food off of their table are the ones gouging us for something that has a limited supply and somewhat of a demand. If the publisher won't print any more copies, why shouldn't someone else, especially since they are offering to do it without making a profit.

BTW, PM's would be the best way to take orders, no public paper trail:D

:D :D

Make the copies individually reciepted. It cost $4.76 for a copy sell it for 4.76, your not making money, nor losing money and it's not like GM will be going back to the older technology. Now I can see if you stole the molds for the ZL1 engine since they have now reintroduced it, but this technology is archaeic and will not be resurfacing in the future................

But yes it is illegal....................

I lost a copied 87 gn engine manuel to a fellow ebayer,when I quit bidding at 45.00 dollars.It went up to 87 or something like that.Then the seller asked me if I wanted one for 25bucks.I said sure.I think it was money well spent.I don't think he got in truble,and you know alot of people had to see it.I think you will be doing alot of people a favor by making a copy and not just keeping the information to yourself. I think it is a good thing.:)

If you have to ask it must be wrong. And in this case if you copy it and sell it that is a violation of copyright laws. Just like those guys downloadiing songs from the internet and selling pirated CD's same thing it illegal

Say hello to bubba for me when they cuff and stuff ya....

RACEBUICKS : I would like to get a list of the parts you reproduce. Please send it ALONG WITH COPYS OF LISENCING AGREEMENTS FOR EACH PART. IT'S A MORAL THING --- YOU KNOW !! Thanks - Turbota.....

I wouldn't go putting them up on ebay but if you happen to make copies for a few fellow turbo buick guys out of good faith and just get back the $$ you have into them I see no MORAL problem.

As far as the copyright thing, sure..it's illegal but I doubt GM will be sueing(like others in this thread said).

Originally posted by turbota
RACEBUICKS : I would like to get a list of the parts you reproduce. Please send it ALONG WITH COPYS OF LISENCING AGREEMENTS FOR EACH PART. IT'S A MORAL THING --- YOU KNOW !! Thanks - Turbota.....

Since my parts have no GM signs on them and since they are not being sold as GM repalcement parts I do not need a licencing agreement. If you COPY a manual you will cross the line. You will reprint a portion that says
No part of this publication may be reproduced stored in a retreival system or transmitted in any form or by any means. electronic, mechanical, photocoping, recording, or othrewise without the prior written permission of the copyright holder.

Give me a break, Ive been doing this for 18 years and even a GM rep came to see what i have for sale resently and told me what I could and cant do. I have repro parts no insignia's no GM markings so I fall into the area that doesnt need any licencing.
Your arguement doesnt hold water here with me.

I believe I have made a decision

I believe, I have made a decision, I am going to attempt to find out who has the copyrights to this book, obviously since there is limited supply and limited need for this publication, I am going to attempt to achieve a licensed to reproduce, or the copyright itself. If I am successful I will let you know. Depending upon prices, I will make my decision. How cool would it be to own the copyrights to the Trans Am Turbo manual.

In the meantime, to all you, who do not have a copy, and are unfamiliar with this vehicle, good luck with figuring out where everything is yourselves, you have my sympathy.
Somehow I get the opinion it would not be a good idea for me to reproduce this book at all. But I'm going to try.

Proud owner of two of the finest cars ever made.

By the way, you all should congratulate me on my most recent purchase, a 1989 Supercharged 3.8 Mercury Cougar.

Steve

89 Manuals etc

.. I didn't know the 89 TA manual was disco'd... I've had about 4 of these big 89 TA Firebird manuals in an out this year.. and do have probably 3 or 4 new TTA suppliments in stock..... but anyway..

... Also.. don't be too confused with the Licensing thing.. there appears to be some vested interests out there who are wanting you (and me particularly thats for SURE... :') ) to just go away or not get involved ... .. but thats freedom .... & I love it.. ....
...Just do things legally and look after people properly.. after all its a proffessional & enjoyable hobby we are in.

.. if confused about licensing & copyright (a bigger subject)..... here is a quote from the source..

"Parts that do not bare a GM Trademark or display the GM Restoration Parts label do not require licensing.
"Parts that bare Trademarks or are manufactured using GM owned tools
will specific royality rates if approved."