Do you have any tips for selling a car on EBAY? ---

alwayscode390

I am currently selling 2 vehicles. Both are non-running projects. A 1967 RS Camaro , and a 1989 TTA Turbo Trans Am.

I initially wanted to sell them locally so I didnt have to worry about paperwork, and setting up a car hauler for someone.

I have them posted on Craigslist , but am sick of people who seem serious for about a week, and then fall off the face of the Earth.

They are also posted on Forums online.

My main concern is that I get the paperwork taken care of professionally ... I dont want to get in trouble because I didnt do something right on my part , and the buyer takes advantage of that ( when they register , paying taxes, ect ect ).

Since we both cant be there in person to sign the paperwork together ... what is standard protocol as far as the TITLE, and a BILL OF SALE is concerned? Do I have to do homework on the buyers STATE LAWS?

I guess it would be different dealing with someone who is paying cash vs. someone who is getting a loan?

I sell small stuff on Ebay all the time, so I am not worried about the Ebay process much. This will be the first time selling a car like this though.

When you sell online, whats the best way to go about sending the title with the car ... and a bill of sale. Just go to the bank and sign it all over in front of someone (notary), and have the towtruck/freight hauler hold onto the paperwork?

How about getting payment ... paypal? Money order? Money Transfer?

I just got on Ebay Motors ... the fees are as follows:

For the first 6 cars to list is FREE ... to sell is $125

Next # of cars is $50 to list ... FREE to sell.

OPTIONS cost: $7 reserve, $2 buy it now, 10 day = $15 , 21 day = $32

I guess just add the selling fees into the reserve price would be smart?

If you have a link to a good online site that sorta walks you through this , please link me.

All advice is appreciated, I would like to get them up ASAP ... THANKS
icon_smile.gif
---

Few things I did, when I sold... few cars on eBay

1) I hate the auction format (too stressful), so I use Buy It Now, with an option of Best Offer. Give yourself some room ($500-whatever) since people like to bargain. Don't over price it, because some people will be shy of low balling you.

2) Pictures, pictures, pictures - more pictures, less stupid questions and less problems later

3) I usually add $1000 to my price and offer Free Shipping anywhere in the USA (well, the 48 states). You'll be surprised how many people fall for it.

4) Accept deposit via PayPal, but I make it non-refundable because if the seller backs out it will cover your fees. Final payment cash OR certified check to one of your LOCAL!!!!!! banks ONLY. This way you bring them a check and they can verify it and cash it on the spot.

5) if you're doing a cash deal, meet the buyer in a parking lot of YOUR bank. Hand him/her a deposit slip to your account and let them deposit the money. a) you won't get robbed, b) you won't ger counterfit money and c) you won';t make mistake counting it ;)

6) If you're shipping the car: the car goes on a transporter, and the title gets overnighted via FedEx.

Good luck

Have you tried Craigslist with some good search keywords? i ask because i've sold every car I needed to move quickly on C-list for free.

Craigslist, in my opinion, attracts too many scammers. Every time I try to sell something on CL, I get offers from... Nigeria. And they all sound the same: we'll send you a check with excess amount, you cash it and refund us the excess via Western Union and we'll come pick up _____ (fill in the blank).

Do you guys think $1000 will cover shipping ANYWHERE in the U.S.? I know most places I have gotten estimates from are around $800 ... but I am worried I will get someone in BFE , and it will cost me an arm and a leg. Sometimes I get people buying LITTLE things from me that jump on my "free shipping" and I get nailed.

Here are links to the two craigslist posts. I have both cars listed for $8999 ... and the LOWEST NADA value is $13-$14k on either one ... giving the buyer a chance to get a collectable car and still have $4-$5k to put into the car so its worth ATLEAST the low value IMO.

1967 RS Camaro: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3339852532.html

1989 TTA Turbo Trans Am: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3339849977.html

I should probably just get them running first but honestly dont want the hassle or have the time. I figure both cars can get running for under $500 in parts , so I am offering the cars discounted so the shadetree guy can do the work himself and save a buck. If I put money into the cars to get them running I will want close to the LOWEST value.

Its the only TTA listed in Saint Louis, and the only 1967 RS Project Camaro ... ALL the others are listed $35k-$45k!!! (restored of course) but that gives you a LOT of money to play with if you bought mine and fixed it the way YOU wanted it.

Thanks for all the advice guys :) ---

Looking at your TTA ad, it needs some keywords. these are placed at the bottom of the page under your details...something like this:
gn, grand national, buick, turbo, trans am, ta, 3.8, t type, mustang, corvette, ls1, lsx, typhoon, syclone

This will attract more people to your ad when they search...they may not be looking for this however they may reconsider or have an "oh yeah..I remember those cars" moment. my 2 cents...get the car running, i always looked for cars like yours that weren't running because i knew 95% of people would pass on them and I could low-ball!

1 more thing...I wouldn't advise offering to ship a car for free, that could bite you in the butt. post a link maybe to a reputable shipper, let them get a quote.

Shipping can be a lot more than 800. Be careful. Now time for me to check out the 67. I've been wanting one and since we offer a radiator for them I really should have one. :D