Do I need a bigger turbo?

darkred87T

Kind of a dumb question but I have a Precision GT3255 and with the waste gate vac line unhooked entirely (no boost control) I can only get 22-23PSI. My mods are in my sig.

Before I upgraded to the P&P heads and cam I would get almost 30 PSI no problem. Now it seems sluggish to spool and I'm not getting enough boost out of it. Again. this is with NO boost control. 23PSI is all I can scrounge up with this turbo. Is there something wrong or do I need to upgrade?
Thanks,
Mike

Kind of a dumb question but I have a Precision GT3255 and with the waste gate vac line unhooked entirely (no boost control) I can only get 22-23PSI. My mods are in my sig.

Before I upgraded to the P&P heads and cam I would get almost 30 PSI no problem. Now it seems sluggish to spool and I'm not getting enough boost out of it. Again. this is with NO boost control. 23PSI is all I can scrounge up with this turbo. Is there something wrong or do I need to upgrade?
Thanks,
Mike

not really the ported heads caused a drop in pressure usually 6 to 7psi as boost is a restriction in the motor the more restricted the motor is the more boost you can get out of it. with the ported heads you opened up your motor and now it should make the same hp or more with 22/23 psi. if you want to upgrade i would go with the billit wheel versions

I'm not even using the wastegate. It's unhooked.
my bad i did read your sig.that you have a rjc valve. i know if you go with a 6262 or 6275 people are having problems with high boost and they are porting the hole to get bost down so maybe you can get yours back.

Nah, it's sealed up pretty good. I just installed my new TA headers. I'll double check though.

Thanks,
Mike

You got more flow now so of course, barring no leaks, the boost would go down. It is like freeing up a bottleneck...

If you want more boost I would suggest upgrading. Sounds like you maxed it out...

Thanks,
Mike
I had same issue after I put stroker motor in my other GN with BB GT6152 turbo , people said ...NO way I max out the turbo but after I switched to BB6776 ....:) .... at the end you should look at the performance gains ,the magical number of boost # is.... just that ,30 psi is usually stocker .

I think I maxed out the turbo. Need more boost. Need bigger tubro. :biggrin:

Good idea...

When we had the stock set up on the TFS car I don't think it would make over like 14-16#'s or so with the waste gate wired shut... We put on a bigger one and shut it off at like 20+ with room to go:biggrin: