Do i have to swap brakes to swap engines?

Racecar_Dave

Im doing a 87 swap in my 84 and somebody told me i needed to swap either to the 87 style brakes or to vacuum brakes. so i did some searching using the search bar and found that some 87 owners swap to 84 hydroboost brakes. So what is needed to make my hydroboost brakes work with the 87 motor?

Your hydro boost brakes work off your power steering pump. I'm not positive on what exactly you would need if anything to use the power steering pump from the 87 engine. If the pump is in the same spot as your stock motor I would just use the hoses that are already there. As far as I know though you should not have to switch brake booster types to put an 87 motor in a 84.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am one of those you heard about that switched to the 84 hydro boost on my 87. I got the hb , two lines and mastercylinder from rockauto and some trans cooler line and a T from the local part hose for the return. Works great.

So to answer the question, no you don't have to swap brake systems but you will need the two lines, and the 87 reservoir for the fender as I believe the 84 had the reservoir at the pump.

My power master is out on my 87. I'm considering switching to hydroboost. I thought you had to use GM astro van parts?
Does that mean there are older g-bodies we can pull parts from with hydroboost ?

Yes, the 84 and early 85 turbo regal used the hydro boost as the braking system. I ordered the hydroboost and both lines from rock auto, and got a master cylinder for a Cadillac from them also. I followed the cedar crest labs thread on the swap. I have had it on my car for four years and love it.

Yes, the 84 and early 85 turbo regal used the hydro boost as the braking system. I ordered the hydroboost and both lines from rock auto, and got a master cylinder for a Cadillac from them also. I followed the cedar crest labs thread on the swap. I have had it on my car for four years and love it.
Correction Rich. 83 through 85 had hydroboost factory installed.;)

To me the benefit was it bolted in save for a little tweaking on one of the hard lines and sourcing a "tee" and some return line. And replaced a failure prone powermaster. I think it provides excellent braking even though I'm still using the stock calipers and disks in front and stock drums out back.