do hyd roller cams need zinc additive??

53dogg

Hey ,maybe I'm just being paranoid but what's the scoop on the new oils lacking zinc and resulting cam lube problems?? I have about 200 miles on an expensive rebuild,with a 210,210 comp hyd roller. Also,is Royal Purple really the way to go??

Zinc additives really help flat tappet cam motors keep cams alive. Thats not to say that a roller motor wouldnt need zinc as i believe is advantageous to any motor.Just not as critical.

I currently run Royal Purple on my motor and Im happy with it.

I've heard of a lot of guys running the Shell Rotella T oil because of the zinc content.

STP has zinc and it's cheap $2.29
I use Rotella and EOS but now I stopped using EOS and gone to STP
I have a Comp 218/218 Flat tappet cam

53doggy said:
Hey ,maybe I'm just being paranoid but what's the scoop on the new oils lacking zinc and resulting cam lube problems?? I have about 200 miles on an expensive rebuild,with a 210,210 comp hyd roller. Also,is Royal Purple really the way to go??
addtives really just help flat tappets your good with a roller

Zinc needed for the rocker shafts

Harland Sharp told my engine builders that I needed to run a zinc additive just for the rocker shafts. I use the Rotella and EOS from the GM dealer. Just broke down the upper part of the motor for a lifted head and everything checked out nicely. So far so good Im staying with the combo.

According to an oil analysis chart, RedLine oils have the highest moly, zinc, and phosphorus content. Redline blows away Royal Purple, Mobil1, Amsoil, etc.

As far as an additive, the Valvoline Synpower tested really good. Its the VAlvoline oil additive in the small bottle(like the STP bottles). They sell it at Pepboys.

This info can be looked up on: Bobistheoilguy.com open the virgin oil analysis link.