Do black cars look awful in the sun?

ncmalko1

#1 Eagles fan
Come to my garage in the shade and you will see this pristine low milage 87 GN. But look at my car in the sun light and it looks awful.

Will a nice paint job fix the streaks in the bright sun?

If the paint is just spider webed then most any body shop can wheel out the marks and make it look new again. But make sure you find a good shop so they dont go through the paint.

It was recently waxed but look really hazy. Really fine scracthes in the clear coat. Do I just buck up and kick out 3 or 4 G's for the paint job, or is this just in a black cars nature?

It was recently waxed but look really hazy. Really fine scracthes in the clear coat. Do I just buck up and kick out 3 or 4 G's for the paint job, or is this just in a black cars nature?

First, post pics. You need to buy a Porter Cable dual action polisher, polish (i like Pinnacle paint cleaner), glaze (optional), and a good Caranuba wax such as pinnacle.

Waxing a car is the easy part but if u wax a car that has dirty paint, then the wax will not do anything.

First, you have to polish or clean the paint with very mild abrasives. DO NOT use COMPOUND. Compound is very abrasive and u can do irreversible damage.

In one or 2 weekends, u can probably get rid of all imperfections in the paint. U need to work one section at a time. After u polish, you can then apply glaze which will temporarily hide swirl marks or u can go straight to wax. After u polish, u must immediately apply wax to protect the paint.

For more info, check out properautocare.com or autopia.org.

Frank

Meguires Gold Class with an orbital buffer.:cool:

Do not move in a circle. Straight lines only. Even when washing and drying your car move up or down...not both. Make sure there is no debris on your sponge or chamois either...any foreign object will leave marks on the paint surface.

Attachments

• 87nat 001 (Custom).jpg
    87nat 001 (Custom).jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 340
RE: Detail

ncmalko1,
All cars need to see a professional detail service at least once if not yearly depending on use and abuse from the owner making simple washing mistakes. Like Frank points out Autopia is a great reference point for how-to’s. I detailed cars back in 1985 for years for a large service in Florida that handled dealers new & used inventory and had a high end custom shop for private customers. I even watched as they backed a GNX off of the car hauler for the GM dealerships in the area and consulted with the guys at that Buick dealership on how to prep it for sale. There is no substitute for a skilled, practiced, bonded & insured, and knowledgeable Automotive Detail Professional. Try finding a service in your area that is recommended by dealers, other enthusiast, or a quality painter, you will not be disappointed. Take a moment to visit his shop, speak with him on your expectations and what he overall recommends for your specific car. It will cost upwards of $120.00 but that will include a complete detail. After the car is looking great maintaining it will be a breeze. All you will have to do is decide on what professional products you want to use. There are numerous opinions but 3M, Zymol, Zaino, & Klasse are a great start. I have recently moved to Zaino products as it did a great job on my daily driver 850 Volvo. It had years of neglect when I bought it and after buffing it with Trizac, then 3M rubbing compound, I washed it down with Dawn, and then applied two coats of Zaino Z2 Pro that I won at the Kirban Reunion. It looks really good. I will now try Zaino on my 87 Turbo T ASAP.

For reference try:
We Are Car Care ! Car Wax - Car Polish - Auto Detailing Supplies & Car Accessories Store
Zaino Store
Klasse All-In-One & Klasse Sealant Glaze Car Wax Detailing Guide

go somewhere like "autocolor" if you have that chain where you live...(place where the paint and body shops buy there stuff)....show them the car, they will give you exactly what you need to make it look like new, as long as its in the clear, which is what it sounds like.....after ALOT of elbow grease and some good glaze you'll be fine

Just got my 87 gn wet sanded and buffed looks amazing,dosn't look like the same car set me back $300 but well worth it.

Does your GN have original paint? You mention low miles, so that peaked my curiosity. GN's did not have a clearcoat, they had a single stage lacquer, so you might be using the wrong product to clean your car. Brian

clay bar entire car to remove contaminants.

ZAINO, ZAINO, ZAINO, ZAINO !!! Go online and buy some, and listen to what the website says. If you spend a week adding thier polish, letting it set for awhile, then taking it off and repeating, you will have a dark deep nice looking car again. It wont get rid of the swirls 100%, but they will be hard to see even in the light.

Also, if its really bad, you may want to go to a body shop supply place and buy 3M Foad Pad polishing glaze / swirl mark remover for dark colored cars.
You cant buy it in regular stores. If you dont know how to use a REAL buffer or dont have one, have someone who knows how do it. NOT AN ORBITAL they are a lazy mans wax remover.

I have personally gotten some really nasty looking black cars with swirls practically ready for a show after using the 3M with the buffer and then doing the zaino products.

Takes forever but well worth it. Make sure the buffer has a soft black foam pad, not the white ones, they are too abrasive. You want the softest foam pad the body shop supply place offers. And do the whole car twice with it and the 3M glaze.
Then Zaino at least 2 coats by HAND. Make sure you only use the softest materials to apply and remove the products.

Its a ton of work, but you get out what you put in.

A GOOD detail shop is the key! They will do an amazing job on your car. After waxing, the final product I swear by is Auto Magic "Seal-It". This stuff goes on and comes of like a breeze. Auto Magic products are sold like professional tools... from a truck for professionals only. You can, however, buy small amounts of some products on-line. "Seal-It" is one of the products you can buy. MagicGarage - Waxes / Glazes / Compounds
This stuff will hide standard swirl marks that come from repeated waxes. Depending on the amount of outside exposure the effect may not last more than a few days. A garaged weekend driver will have longer lasting results. It takes no time to apply and remove, it's so easy to use. I view it as the "miracle drug" to hide swirl marks. The car will shine like a mirror!
All this being said, if your paint is real rough and buffing/polishing doesn't help, then it's time for a repaint. Spend the money on a good detail first and see what happens!
Here's my advice... if you don't have any experience using a buffer, then don't try it first on your Buick. If your car needs a heavy compound then you could easily burn through a edge! A pro knows how to sling the buffer to avoid this! Spend the money for the buffer on a good shop instead!

Good Luck,
Tim

Attachments

• Buick Resize.jpg
    Buick Resize.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 246
First, post pics. You need to buy a Porter Cable dual action polisher, polish (i like Pinnacle paint cleaner), glaze (optional), and a good Caranuba wax such as pinnacle.

Waxing a car is the easy part but if u wax a car that has dirty paint, then the wax will not do anything.

First, you have to polish or clean the paint with very mild abrasives. DO NOT use COMPOUND. Compound is very abrasive and u can do irreversible damage.

In one or 2 weekends, u can probably get rid of all imperfections in the paint. U need to work one section at a time. After u polish, you can then apply glaze which will temporarily hide swirl marks or u can go straight to wax. After u polish, u must immediately apply wax to protect the paint.

For more info, check out properautocare.com or autopia.org.

Frank

ncmalko1,
All cars need to see a professional detail service at least once if not yearly depending on use and abuse from the owner making simple washing mistakes. Like Frank points out Autopia is a great reference point for how-to’s. I detailed cars back in 1985 for years for a large service in Florida that handled dealers new & used inventory and had a high end custom shop for private customers. I even watched as they backed a GNX off of the car hauler for the GM dealerships in the area and consulted with the guys at that Buick dealership on how to prep it for sale. There is no substitute for a skilled, practiced, bonded & insured, and knowledgeable Automotive Detail Professional. Try finding a service in your area that is recommended by dealers, other enthusiast, or a quality painter, you will not be disappointed. Take a moment to visit his shop, speak with him on your expectations and what he overall recommends for your specific car. It will cost upwards of $120.00 but that will include a complete detail. After the car is looking great maintaining it will be a breeze. All you will have to do is decide on what professional products you want to use. There are numerous opinions but 3M, Zymol, Zaino, & Klasse are a great start. I have recently moved to Zaino products as it did a great job on my daily driver 850 Volvo. It had years of neglect when I bought it and after buffing it with Trizac, then 3M rubbing compound, I washed it down with Dawn, and then applied two coats of Zaino Z2 Pro that I won at the Kirban Reunion. It looks really good. I will now try Zaino on my 87 Turbo T ASAP.

Yep. these guys know what theyre talkin about. id either clay, glaze then wax, or depending on how bad the paint is, you can polish, then glaze, then wax. most likely 2nd choice im sure.

Here is Mine

Here is my car after I detailed it for an online car show. My process was wash then clayed the entire car then rewashed and dried. Fired up my buffer and used Pinnacle XMT polishes 1 and 2 on white pads, which are mid-grade for abrasiveness, over the entire car and had to use 3 in some spots. Then I applied Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant and after that I topped it all off with Pinnacle Liquid Souveran wax. I think it turned out very good minimal inperfections in the paint and looked WET. I have a fairly low speed circular buffer but Im going to be getting an orbital buffer over the winter. The orbitals are easy to use and you cant do much damage unless you try to. The high speed circular buffers can do some serious damage if you dont know what your doing. Do some reading on a car care website like autopia or autogeek.net tons of information on there about how to take care of your paint and the process I did and the results are for paint with clear not the original paint on the GN's.