Do all body mount bolts look like this?

John Larkin

Sublime Master of Turbology
Sorry, no picture. I was poking around under the car yesterday and noticed one of the body mount bolts, right side just behind the trans xmember. There was a bushing in between the body and the frame; no problem there. But I noticed how one bolt particularly was made. It had a ring around it about 1.5" in diameter about midway up the shank. The bolt seemed to be tight, but it also looked like there could have been something above that ring at one time, between the ring and the frame. Anyone else ever notice this and know of a reason for this design? Just curious.

Body boltz

John, the ring,[washer] is the support washer that should have been holding the bottom 1/2 of the body mount. The rubber "biscuit" part is rotted off. The reason the bolt appears to be tite is it's most likely rusted in place.
In alot of cases the biscuit was dropped at assembly and the overpaid worker was too lazy to get another one before the car left his station.:rolleyes:
Nice, huh??? ALOT of the cars were shipped w/ half the lowers missing!!:eek: :eek: But then what do you expect for "ONLY" $18,000??:D

I replaced ALl of them including the GNX bushing over the axle, w/ a kit from PST... A bitch of a job, but well worth the time. $150.00.

Re: Body boltz

Originally posted by Chuck Leeper
John, the ring,[washer] is the support washer that should have been holding the bottom 1/2 of the body mount. The rubber "biscuit" part is rotted off. The reason the bolt appears to be tite is it's most likely rusted in place.
In alot of cases the biscuit was dropped at assembly and the overpaid worker was too lazy to get another one before the car left his station.:rolleyes:
Nice, huh??? ALOT of the cars were shipped w/ half the lowers missing!!:eek: :eek: But then what do you expect for "ONLY" $18,000??:D

I replaced ALl of them including the GNX bushing over the axle, w/ a kit from PST... A bitch of a job, but well worth the time. $150.00.

I did the same thing a Chuck. PITA to do but worth it. The car feels alot tighter now and handles better than ever.

I believe what you are saying. Strange that there would be a "lower" bushing since it basically cushions nothing, except for perhaps damping upward forces. The "upper" one I saw was squashed down to about 1/2" - 3/4" and had dry rot separations around the edges. How thick are new body bushings? The old Pontiac listed below had bushings between the body and frame but no lowers; hence the reason for my question.

Re: Body boltz

Originally posted by Chuck Leeper

Really?
I don't think so. Bushings that you think are missing due to lazy overpaid workers the bolts are a little shorter.
Wonder why??