DLS (Dan Strezo) Double roller chain tensioner

TurboCrazy

Turbo on the brain!
OK, seems no one is making an aftermarket tensioner now. I am in need of one to get Dad's motor back together. It's a long story, but trust me it is the only option left. Can someone provide a good picture of the DLS tensioner? TIA

Don't know about the DLS unit but I've been looking at using this one. It's off an 89 3800 and doesn't use hard rubber, but a hard plastic piece so it won't wear like the rubber one.;)
DSCF1145.JPGDSCF1146.JPG

Hi charlie, I though using a double chain roller you couldn't use a chain tensioner, is this one option?

This stock one is hard rubber and this one isn't so the timing chain shouldn't eat it up. This is the one that came off my 89 Olds at almost 200K and as you can see it's not rubbed through like the stock one would be.;)

The reason it still looks new is im pretty sure those engines used a silent type chain with a smooth backside... a double roller would chew it to pieces in my opinion. I think the only way you could tension a double roller is with some type of small toothed sprocket. If you go with a billet gear double roller from the vendors on here (I forget who exactly makes it) they are available in 2 sizes in case your motor has been line bored and needs some slop taken out. You just run em with no tensioner. Are you running some kind of unique setup?

Not sure who your question was directed to? In the case of my Dad's motor, we have the smallest chain we could get on it. There is still too much slop. I'm not going into the reasons why, but I'm sure some can guess. All I know is, I won't put it together the way it is.

Sorry bout that, right after I posted that I reread the thread and saw who the author was... obviously you know what youre talking about lol. if you ground down the edges of that plastic tensioner leaving a pair of mohawk looking things that would only contact the rollers it would probably live a long happy life?

OK, now I remember, we have some tensioners that we use in the chaincase of the snowmobiles that have a similar chain I will look at those and see if something might Macgyver up

I believe TA performance makes a top notch timing set which still incorporates a tensioner.

Been there. They only had a limited amount of them made. They didn't sell well, so they are not handling them now.:(

Mike, I appreciate any help we can get. It is amazing, something that seems so simple, can be so difficult to overcome.

Well, shoot! I haven't had the oportunity to be on the board since Thursday. Been at Route 66 Dragway in Joliet, racing my BB Camaro. Things didn't quite go as planned, but I had a great time. 10.20s @ 130 mph isn't to bad. Just not the 9.90s we were hoping for.
Nick: Dad called TA the first of last week, or maybe the end of the week before. He was told they didn't have any in stock.:mad: Maybe they are holding a few back for their best customers??

Just buy the right undersized chain and ditch the tensioner, it will cause more problems than you think..

I'm going to assume you didn't read the whole thread? If you had, you would have seen that we already purchased the smallest chain we could find. It is still too loose. I've been building these motors for 20 years. I'm well aware of the issues/carnage the stock chain tensioner can cause.o_O