DIY WB O2 problems.

myclone

This post isnt for a Buick but hopefully it might help a fellow Buick owner if they run into the same problem and its answered here.

Ive got two DIY WB set ups that are acting exactly the same. The richer the mixture (via fuel pressure increase) the HIGHER the WB output. When the mixture is leaned out the output of the WB goes down. Basically the WB O2s output is backwards from what they are supposed to be.

Has anyone on here familiar with these set ups ever had this problem?

FYI.. Open loop chip (no s term or l term), real deal NEW honda sensor not a knock off, the WB circuits passed the check out procedure on the DIY WB site with flying colors.

Any help would be apprectiated.

Originally posted by myclone
This post isnt for a Buick but hopefully it might help a fellow Buick owner if they run into the same problem and its answered here.

Ive got two DIY WB set ups that are acting exactly the same. The richer the mixture (via fuel pressure increase) the HIGHER the WB output. When the mixture is leaned out the output of the WB goes down. Basically the WB O2s output is backwards from what they are supposed to be.

Has anyone on here familiar with these set ups ever had this problem?

FYI.. Open loop chip (no s term or l term), real deal NEW honda sensor not a knock off, the WB circuits passed the check out procedure on the DIY WB site with flying colors.

Any help would be apprectiated.

DIY-EFI.ORG has a board just for the DIY-WBs.
I've never heard of that.

All the Honda type WBs come from NTK, they have a patent on it, so even if you buy a Bosch, it's an NTK repackaged in a Bosch box.

Re: Re: DIY WB O2 problems.

Originally posted by bruce
DIY-EFI.ORG has a board just for the DIY-WBs.
I've never heard of that.

All the Honda type WBs come from NTK, they have a patent on it, so even if you buy a Bosch, it's an NTK repackaged in a Bosch box.

Thanks Bruce,

Ive been looking over the WB list archives and gm efi/ecm archives but have only found on message remotely pertaining to our problem. That guys prob was the heater ckt pwr/gnd was intstalled backwards. I checked out the wiring on the WB board/cables for the umteenmillionth time and we are good to go on the correct wiring.

Dunno, Im stumped.

Heres what I do know:

Two DIY WB kits built by the same electronic tech (me).
Both passed the "checkout" tests with flying colors.
Heater ckts work as desinged.
Both track the A/F ratio nicely (but the wrong Vout :rolleyes: ).
Both exhibit the exact same "backward" Vout symptom.
Correct wiring verified several times on both units.

Here is what worries me.... We only have ONE honda WB sensor between the two WB controls and Im beginning to lean toward the sensor being bad. Ive seen new "bad" parts before but Ive never heard of a WB O2 being bad right out of the box. Guess it could happen though.

TIA for any help.

Update/FWIW

My bud and I decided to do some dynamic testing of the WB since the idle readings were wacky. Looks like its working as it should at cruise or accel/decel. The reason for the wacky idle readings has yet to be determined but at least now we know the O2 and O2 circuit are working properly (we think).

Thanks for the input Bruce :D

This is third hand info so treat accordingly, the cal resistor is matched to each sensor. So every sensor is *test* run. Getting a bad one is just about impossible.

Maybe just set the fuel wayyy rich at some place readily accessible and see if the WB reads richer?