DIY field fix??

black_magic87

Buddah
Hello everyone, I'm having a charging issue and i am wondering if anyone has info on how to make my own DIY field fix i just i've tried two different alts that both test as good just looking for a way to get the car charging again, i'll try to check later today going to the St Pete GP so that will at least take my mind off the car for a while

also i checked on gnttype and didn't find anything really thanks to those that reply

Robert

Check/change the alt. dash bulb.It's part of the circuit from what I've read here......Also seems to fall into the category of stuff that would be the last thing you would think of.

with the key on and engine off, does your "volt" light come on?
if not, push in on the cluster. if it comes on, then you've got a bad connection where the wiring harness plugs into the cluster. the fix is to pull the cluster out and clean the contacts with a soft pencil eraser. also bend the tabs up a little bit to make it fit tighter.
when you put it back together, verify that the "volt" light works. also look for the "volt" light as a part of your "pre flight checklist" every time you start the car. no volt light with the key in "run" with the engine off = no charging after you start it.

A "field fix" is easy to do.

On the stock alternator plug there are 4 possible terminals . The stock plug only uses one brown wire going to the "L" or "Lamp" terminal. You need to add a terminal/wire to the "I/F" terminal and connect it to a switched 12v source - a good place is to simply tap into the Pink/Blk wire going to the stock wastegate solenoid.

DO NOT connect 12v directly to the brown wire on the "L" terminal or you will fry the internal regulator.

okie dokie

well the race turned great just like last year but now back to real life, now if i am reading it correct i will tap into the "i/f" wire whatever color it is as long as its not brown and run a wire over to the pink/blk wire off the wastegate sol seems easy enough, as for the light its does not come on and from what i understand the field fix is a way to "bypass" in case the light in your dash does go out and i have the dash apart and checked the the contacts and cleaned them up even tried 4 differetn bulbs after dinner i think might take another look just to make sure

Thanks Robert

check the continuity of the wire from the plug to the dash light. there might be a break in there somewhere.

dumb question but after being out of town for two weeks due to work i can finally get back to the car, and it turns out that i do not have any continuity from the plug to the dash light my question is where does the wire go from the large rectangle loom i don't see it going through the hole where the speedo cable runs through i'm guessing it snakes around to the other side of the compartment then behind the firewall, but it was getting dark and just getting home i wasn't that up to it is there a place i can go to under the dash to find where the wire comes out or should i go ahead and start taking the dash all the way apart?

thanks and sorry took so long to get back
Robert