Ditch the F350 Intercooler?

*BuickBoy*

I have a F350 intercooler that fills the entire front of my car. I bought the car this way. Since its so big, I figure its taking more time for the pressure to reach the TB. Would it be better if I ran a smaller stock location high flow rather than the huge one im running?

Please post info on your car. it looks like you have a really big turbo and that will effect spool-up more then the intercooler. If you have the F-350 intercooler, keep it !!!

I have a T61 turbo, BGC 3" DP, 42.5# injectors, Razor Alky, Translator Pro, mild ported heads. It sucks when you buy a car like that, going off of what the previous owner told you. I just bought a Precision 6765 billit wheel turbo. The car puffs smoke and theres some play in the shaft on the turbo. You think the F350 intercooler will work? Im also concerned about cooling of the car too. It does run hot. I have a single fan behind a stock radiator, and I do have a 160 therm. Cruising around it will reach around 200-205. I live in Tucson, so it is hot out already, once I start playing with it it will creep to 110 but no higher.

Hey what are you doing with that turbo? I live in Tucson and I just bought a T-Type.

I have a F350 intercooler that fills the entire front of my car. I bought the car this way. Since its so big, I figure its taking more time for the pressure to reach the TB. Would it be better if I ran a smaller stock location high flow rather than the huge one im running?

Pressure is NOT measured in time, it is flow rate that is important. Since boost is actually restriction, a smaller IC would NOT be better.

We have local GN's that run mid-9's with a Ford PS intercooler. :)

I have a T61 turbo, BGC 3" DP, 42.5# injectors, Razor Alky, Translator Pro, mild ported heads. It sucks when you buy a car like that, going off of what the previous owner told you. I just bought a Precision 6765 billit wheel turbo. The car puffs smoke and theres some play in the shaft on the turbo. You think the F350 intercooler will work? Im also concerned about cooling of the car too. It does run hot. I have a single fan behind a stock radiator, and I do have a 160 therm. Cruising around it will reach around 200-205. I live in Tucson, so it is hot out already, once I start playing with it it will creep to 110 but no higher.
A wise man with a very fast orange Buick once told me to go buy as big an intercooler as you want and there is no downside unless it is too thick and has a negative effect on cooling. Mine was running 200 with the 160 stat until I got the dual fans. It now stays below 180 but the dual fans were not cheap.

i had an issue w my front mount w temps back in FL and the ac wasnt cooling. Dual fans w caspers relay kit took car of it all... definitely would suggest that upgrade.

I'd see if anyone has started off with the F-350 FMIC and then switched to a bigger core and gained boost as a result of the F-350 having too much backpressure at WOT boost. There might be some on the truck forums that swap and give this info for you.

I'd suspect that running a more modern, and not Ebay, core will not only relieve backpressure but these cores will have a better heat transfer due to the larger core size vs the F-350. I don't see any Imports running these Intercoolers and those guys run a ton of boost on big turbos. If the F-350 was better, I'd have seen it by now on something running 40psi etc.

I'd see if anyone has started off with the F-350 FMIC and then switched to a bigger core and gained boost as a result of the F-350 having too much backpressure at WOT boost. There might be some on the truck forums that swap and give this info for you.

I'd suspect that running a more modern, and not Ebay, core will not only relieve backpressure but these cores will have a better heat transfer due to the larger core size vs the F-350. I don't see any Imports running these Intercoolers and those guys run a ton of boost on big turbos. If the F-350 was better, I'd have seen it by now on something running 40psi etc.

The Powerstroke intercooler is HUGE !!! The only way to mount it on a ricer would be to mount it as a wing on the rear !! LOL

Im running 26# with the T-61. And I dont think you can fit a powerstroke IC on a honda. LOL I think its wider than the entire car!!!

Yes it's large, but pressure drop and heat transfer are the two most important aspects, find that data and then you can make the most educated decision on if you should bail on it.

I run a PowerStroke Front Mount in my 84. The car spools super fast and I absolutely love the IC. If it's already mounted in the car, there is no reason to change it. My 84 is an Intercoooled set up that only has light and basic mods. Your combo should have absolutely no problems with spool up and I would say the PowerStroke is probably working very well. Your issue is in our tune or mechanical tune (bad parts, leaking exhaust, vacuum leaks, etc).

Old thread I know, but you all are saying F350, but not if it's the 7.3 or 6.0 IC. The 6.0 is the better of the two. 6.0 guys upgrade to a bulleydog techicolor or there is a "spider" brand out there. If you guys are interested in 6.0 IC's I have a couple from the 6.0 modification days. (that was before kids)